Tuesday, January 15, 2008

 
A primary school teacher secures a job at a school on Merseyside.

On her first day, hoping to make a good impression, she announces that she is a Liverpool supporter.

"How many of you are Liverpool fans?" she asks.

All of the children raise their hands, with the exception of one little girl called Mary.

"I suppose you are an Everton fan, Mary", says teacher.

"No Miss", says Mary. "I support Manchester United."

"Why on earth do you support them?"

"Well Miss, my Mom and Dad are both from Manchester, and they are very keen United fans, so I am too."

"You know, Mary, you don't always have to copy what your parents do. What if your mother was a prostitute, and your father was a drug dealer, then what would you be?"

"A Liverpool supporter, Miss", said Mary.

(Sent to me by a Liverpool Football Club supporter. Take any complaints up with him. I love Scousers. The Beatles were Scousers!)

********

"Dan In Real Life".




Steve Carell plays Dan Burns, newspaper agony uncle and dedicated single father to three girls. At a large family homecoming Dan meets his perfect woman, only to find out that she is in a relationship with his brother.

What's a man to do?

I rather liked "Dan In Real Life", but I would imagine the success or otherwise of this flick is going to be down to whether you are willing to accept Steve Carell playing a part relatively straight and restrained, rather than going through the broad comedy moves that have made him so successful. If you cannot accept it, fear not, "Get Smart" will be along later in the year, but for the record I thought he was very good.

"Dan In Real Life" starts off like your typical, incidentally amusing, family drama, but it gets funnier and funnier as it goes along and Carell's frustration with his situation grows. It's not massively original (but if you only saw movies with original ideas, cinematic pickings would be very scarce indeed, wouldn't they?), but "Dan In Real Life" is entertaining, and a good cast (who wouldn't fall in love at first sight with the luminous Juliette Binoche?) make the most of an insightful enough script that contains many a ponder on the meaning and passion of love.

I hope that Steve Carell pushes himself and does something as interesting again.

Labels: ,


Comments:
it's a fucking awful name for a film though.
ST
 
I'm going to sneak off to the movies tomorrow afternoon so thought I would see your recommendations. I grudgingly admit Dan in Real Life did have some funny/cute/touching moments. I guess I am too used to seeing Steve C. in slapstick comedy and I was expecting that perhaps. It was okay but not the best I've seen him in.

I am trying to decide between Juno, PS I love You (it's probably a HUGE chick flick)or one other that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head.
 
I saw this in the theater over here. I was a bit confused at the end of the movie, as all the trailers here had focused on the fact that he was a newspaper advice columnist, but that really played little to no essential role in the movie, in my opinion.
 
swiss: In the movie it is the name of his newspaper column.

daisy: Between those choices I would choose "Juno" because I loved Ellen Page in "Hard Candy".

jen: I didn't see any trailers for "Dan In Real Life", so I cannot comment on that, but I figured the director was trying to make a point that here was a guy giving lots of advice to others on emotional issues, but is still able to get entangle himself in a mess.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?