Monday, December 17, 2007

 
This evening's post has been derailed somewhat, because my memory was playing tricks on me. Good job I did a little bit of research before I wrote anything down, isn't it?

I will explain.

It's old news anyway, because it was announced last week, that at next year's Brit Awards Paul McCartney will be picking up the Lifetime Achievement Award.

Well deserved, if you ask me, but of course I would say that. Everyone who knows me knows that I am a huge Beatles fan. (I'll be at the Bootleg Beatles gig at the NIA at the weekend, kids!) The Beatles were one of the great bands and I personally think that some of Macca's solo work has also been very good. Even if you are a Macca hater, and they are legion, you would have to agree that even if the criteria for a Lifetime Acheivement Award were only longevity as a recording artist (45 years and counting) and record sales (large, very large), he would have to be a prime candidate.

However, I had problems with the choice because, as I remembered it, Macca had already picked up the Lifetime Achivement Award at a Brit Awards in the early 80's, when that ceremony was still called the Bristish Rock and Pop Awards. Why should Macca pick up the award again when a multitude of other artists had yet to be celebrated?

Like...

The Rolling Stones.
Led Zeppellin
Phil Collins/Genesis. (Certainly not my cup of tea, but they have sold a lot of records over a very long time.)
Steve Winwood.
Elvis Costello.
Blur. (If they can give it to Oasis, they certainly should give it to Blur.)
Pink Floyd.
Ray Davies and the Kinks.
Sting.
The Pet Shop Boys.
Depeche Mode.
UB40.
Brian Ferry and Roxy Music.
Robbie Williams? (No apologies. I love him.)

I could go on and on, but hopefully you get my drift.

True, I seem to have read somewhere that a pre-requiste to picking up the award is the willingness to perform live on the night, but that does not always happen. Queen won the award in 1990 and did not perform. True, if Freddie Mercury had not been seriously ill it might have been a different story.

I certainly do not think that pop music started and ended with the Beatles, or the Sixties come to that, and rather than giving Macca the award twice somebody else should have been given the nod, even if they had chosen not to perform.

Except...

I then found out that Macca has never received a Lifetime Achivement Award at the Brit Awards or the British Rock and Pop Awards. He won Best Male Singer once, but that is neither here nor there.

About time he got it then!!

Ho hum.

I don't even know why I continued with the post. Kind of pointless. Paint myself into a corner.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Labels:


Comments:
good call. I'd stick the constituent members of the Beautiful South on your list as well. And Rod Stewart (assuming he's never won it).
 
Thanks for sticking up for Paul. I feel sometimes like I'm his only defender in a sea of Lennon-lovers (who seem to not be able to appreciate Paul as well. Open your minds, folks!).
 
lb: Rod Stewart got it a couple of years ago. He played on the night and it was good because it featured a reunion of the Faces, with Bill Wyman on bass, deputising for Ronnie Lane.

The Beautiful South? Indeed. Good choice.

katyola: I like Lennon as well, but he did not have the solo career that Macca had. True, there was 5 years of silence and then his tragic death.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?