Saturday, October 13, 2007

 
Yesterday I had a day off work. I spent the whole day hoovering the house and cleaning the kitchen. Lorraine had said that there was a "smell" and that I should do something about it. After cleaning the kitchen from top to bottom I discovered that the smell was coming from bin.

The solution?

Empty the bin.

Yeah!

I had every intention yesterday of writing about the Roger Hodgson gig at the Symphony Hall, that I went to on Thursday night, but I had desperately important things to do. Yes. After being cleaning maid for the whole day, I watched TV from 7pm until 11:30pm. All good stuff, though. ("Scrubs", "Contact", Channel 4's "Comedy Showcase" and "Fonejacker".)

Anyway, Roger Hodgson.



Let me tell you what I know about the band Supertramp.

(Er... You know nothing about the band Supertramp.)

Yes, my whispering inner voice. You are quite correct. Until recently I couldn't even have told you who was in the band. My entire knowledge of Supertramp comes from the clutch of great singles that they released between 1974 and 1979. "Dreamer", "Give A Little Bit", "Breakfast In America", "It's Raining Again", "Goodbye Stranger", "Take The Long Way Home" and especially "The Logical Song". They may have made great albums, as well. I wouldn't know.

I first heard "The Logical Song" in 1979. Even then, as an ignorant 16 year old who, at the time, listened to nothing but the Beatles and New Wave, I remember thinking that on "The Logical Song" Supertramp were singing about something of a fundamental truth, that I wouldn't be able to grasp at that stage, but would understand when I got older. It was true, as well. I think that "The Logical Song" is one of the best songs of all time about that fabled thing 'the mid-life crisis', and is a song that still stands up today.

Re. the gig. With reservations, I really enjoyed it.

Roger Hodgson is still a brilliant singer and a consummate musician, whether on grand piano, electronic keyboards or acoustic guitar. It was a (nearly) solo unplugged set, except that there was another great musician onstage who played a variety of wind instruments, a little bit of keyboards and sang harmony vocals. Great songs, all the hits, crystal clear sound mix and, importantly, Roger Hodgson seemed to be having a really great time.

The problem was that for the majority of the gig the atmosphere was curiously bloodless and passionless. I don't know if it was down to the typical, apathetic Brummie Symphony Hall audience who were, without exception, white, well fed, middle class, middle aged, balding (the men), and spare tyred (the men and the women), whose days of showing real excitement at a gig were long behind them. I really couldn't say. After Roger Hodgson played "The Logical Song" (obviously) the excitement level did pick up, and by the second encore ("Give A Little Bit"), most of the audience were on their feet, and I was treated to the fine sight of a nice middle class lady in front of me dancing like a chicken (head going up and down - she was great), so it ended well.

So, it was a good gig, but a more enthusiastic audience could have made it better.

There I must leave it for the moment. Lorraine and I have been invited to a Dinner Party at Mad Harriet Quant's house. (Mad Marion was the bonkers receptionist at The Company who quit when The Corporation took over. A lady of principle. I took the piss out of Marion every day for 5 years. She never took offence and always referred to me as a 'Naughty Boy'. A lovely lady and it is going to be nice to see her again.) I have never been to a Dinner Party before. I feel like a barbarian at the gates. Do I drink red wine with my left or right hand? Is it OK to burp at the table? Is it good etiquette to stare at the cleavages of ladies who are wearing low cut tops? I will be strong, my friends. Don't worry. I will still be a rebel when I return. Like Steve McQueen.

My Shuflleathon 2007 CD arrived yesterday from unknown parts, but a quick email to Swiss Toni sorted out the mystery. (Cheers Swiss.) An interesting and rewarding listen (really), which is all I will say at this juncture, until I get the review down. Should be in the next day or two.

I have also seen "Control" today and I will write about that next time.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I saw Roger Hodgson at the Diana concert in Wembley a few months ago. He just sat at a keyboard and played about 5-6 songs. All strong and properly live, unlike some of the other acts.

In the scheme of the concert, they had him as a 'between big acts' performance, on a special mini stage, but it was highly enjoyable.

rashbre
 
Re Shuffleathon, whoops. Sorry for omitting sender's name. I was actually wondering whether complete anonymity was called for, but then there was so long between putting it in the envelope and actually posting it (because of the strike) that I forgot to think about it again.
 
Supertramp's early releases "Crime of the Century" and "Crisis? What Crisis?" were (are!) two of my favourite albums, and were, in my opinion, their best offerings.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?