Tuesday, October 23, 2007

 
Maybe getting here early will feed the fountainhead of creativity?

(The definition of the word Fountainhead. "The upper end of a confined-aquifer conduit, where it intersects the land surface." I have no idea what that means, but it sounds great.)

Ian Brown. Carling Academy, Birmingham. Friday 19th October 2007.



It was OK.

Yeah. I think that just about covers it.

It was a weird situation. I only got the ticket on a whim.

A little while ago, on a Friday, I was on a day off. I was in W. H. Smith flicking through the NME looking at the upcoming gigs, when I saw that the tickets for the Ian Brown tour were on sale that day. I went straight down to the Carling Academy, got a ticket and that was that. As time went by I started to question why I got the ticket. Except for the Stone Roses albums, I own no Ian Brown music. I quite liked some of his solo stuff, but not quite enough to buy any of it. (Not that I buy a lot of music anyway, these days.) So, why go? No reason. I just fancied it on that day.

Anyway, I went to the gig.

We got "I Wanna Be Adored" (a great classic), "Dolphins Were Monkeys" (I like that one), some horn driven groove stuff, "My Star" (good), "Corpses In Their Mouths" (good), something with sampled strings on it (OK), other stuff that made no impression, "I Am The Resurrection" (great), a couple of tracks from the new album that alo made no impression, and then I left during the encore, which was a new song which appeared to have exactly the same tune as "Fools Gold".

If it comes down to it, I suppose I was a bit bored.

One thing, though. A girl at work, who saw Ian Brown headlining at some festival or other, told me that he was the worst singer that she had ever seen live. She asked me if I had ever walked out of a gig. I said only the once. She said to expect to want to walk out of the Ian Brown gig. Well, he was not the best singer in the world, but he was in tune and wasn't too bad. I suppose there are worse singers about.

Here endeth the Ian Brown review. Now I just need to get the bloody Shuffleathon review done...

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?