Wednesday, October 31, 2007

 
I was going to write something else this evening, but instead it will have to be a sad farewell to Paul Fox, guitarist and songwriter with the UK Punk band the Ruts, who died on 21st October 2007 of lung cancer. I only learnt about it today.

The Ruts were one of the second wave of Punk bands that appeared in the wake of the Pistols, the Clash, etc., circa 1978/1979. I always felt that they were a very promising band, sadly undone by the death of singer Malcolm Owen in 1980 of a heroin overdose. The Ruts played music that fused dub reggae and hardcore punk. They only recorded a handful of singles, and one proper album, but when I was 16/17 I thought they were wonderful.

Better obituaries here and here.

Fancy a bit of "Staring At The Rude Boys"? I do.



RIP.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?