Friday, March 02, 2007

 
Let me try this again. I'll be brief. The moment has passed somewhat.

Tuesday afternoon I met up with Graham for a drink.

Graham is a very nice guy and we had a very nice chat. As it happened it was quite a brief chat (an hour and a bit), because I had a gig to go to, but more about that in a minute. Graham and I talked about this and that and the other. It's worth noting that Graham still holds the opinion that "Moonraker" is a better movie than "The Spy Who Loved Me". Of course this is patently ridiculous, but he is a boy compared to me, so I blessed him, kissed him on the forehead, and forgave him (and also admitted that, perhaps, "The Spy Who Loved Me" is not quite as good as I remembered it, because I watched it over Christmas and found it "slow".)

It was the third time I had met Graham. The first time was about 18 months ago. The second time was a couple of weeks ago when we were part of the group of Bloggers that went to the "Game On" event at the Science Museum in London. My overwhelming impression of that first occasion was that I talked an awful lot. Jesus Christ, I just went on and on. An opinion on every subject under the sun was expressed, regardless of whether I knew anything about the subject or not. Why? I think I wanted to show how clever I was and I was showing off. This time I didn't talk so much and it was way better. I'm finding now that with somebody that I know, and I hope that by now I know Graham quite well, I don't have to show off.

After the drink I went to see the Fratellis at the Carling Academy.



Ah... The two F's. Fucking fantastic. I came out of the gig with a big smile on my face and I cannot remember the last time I did that. A really great gig. A really great party, more like.

Good support band, The Enemy. Most support bands are so polite that I hardly ever notice them. They arrive onstage. They play their songs. They shyly talk to the audience. They mention that their new single is out and suggest that we might like to buy it.

The Enemy? None of that. They swagger on, they plug in and say

"Fookin' Birmingham. Are you here to party?"

and then they literally blasted through their set.

I thought that they were great. Really punk. Quite a bit of Liam Gallagher swagger, truth be told, and the audience loved them. (Ah, the audience. I think that most of them were probably born around the time that Oasis were first troubling the charts, which would make me about 30 years older than most of them. Gulp.)

Then a short break and the Fratellis were up.

Big energy, great tunes, great fun. A mix of indie, glam rock and power pop. I don't know what the fuck you would call it, but it was brilliant. Best gig I've been to for ages. You know what it's like when you go to a gig and you can feel it because the power hits you in the chest? It was like that.

Rather good. Here's the "Chelsea Dagger" video. Rock and Roll and pretty girls. Who can ask for more?



I think I'm getting tired. I'll write what I thought of "Blood Diamond" tomorrow.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
ahem... everyone knows "The spy Who Loved Me" is much better! No question about it!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?