Monday, March 12, 2007

 



Brad Delp. RIP.

I feel much better today. Much more settled. Perhaps all I really needed was the discipline of getting up early, having breakfast, having a shower and going to work. It does occur to me, though, that if I am destined to behave like an ass when I lack the discipline of work, then I may as well kill myself now.

Ho, hum.

But before that... Sunday.

I went to the Midlands Art Centre to see "Sleeping Dogs".



"Sleeping Dogs" is a sweet little indie romantic comedy about what happens to a nice girl when she admits to her fiance that she once gave her pet dog a blow job.

Yes. You did read that correctly. The nice girl in the picture above (and she is nice looking, isn't she?) once gave her pet dog a blow job. She performed oral sex on a canine or, if you prefer, she blew the pooch.

I thought that "Sleeping Dogs" was just wonderful. Black and mortifying and awful and funny. Black comedy cut from the same cloth as the Todd Solondz movies "Happiness" and "Storytelling". Yes, "Sleeping Dogs" is a little rough around the edges (the lack of budget shows), but the performances are spot on and the script (dealing with serious questions about secrecy and honesty and how much somebody really needs to know about you before it starts to hurt them) is a little gem.

The comedian Bobcat Goldthwait wrote and directed "Sleeping Dogs". He was that loony Zed in some of the "Police Academy" films. Who'd have thought he could make such a good movie?

An it is a good film. It's very good. I don't know how the Midlands Art Centre managed to snag it a week before the official release date, but it is out here properly next Friday. Go and see it. I doubt that it will last very long, but it is a head and shoulders above the average gross out comedies that sometimes clutter up the multiplexes.

I went to see my Mom. She is well. She told me that just wants vouchers for Mother's Day. Just as well. I had no idea what to get her. I have been instructed that Sister 1 will be holding a Mother's Day buffet next Sunday at her house and that my attendance is mandatory. I was cheeky and asked if Lorraine could also come.

My Mom said, "She can come. If she's not too busy."

That would be a "No" then. My Mom knows that Lorraine is always busy.

My Brother has borrowed me Nick Love's second film "The Football Factory" on DVD. I watched it last night when I got home. I thought that it was hilarious. I'm not sure that that was the civilized reaction I was supposed to have, but I can't help what I find funny. Working class humour. Getting pissed, casual sex, drug taking, fighting, swearing. I suppose it's easy to get seduced by that kind of lifestyle. One observation. I think that as the movie progresses you are expecting that by the end of the film Danny Dyer's character will have grown and changed and moved on, but he doesn't. That was pretty bleak.

Before I left my Mom's house, my Brother and I got talking. He said that he had enjoyed every film that Danny Dyer had been in, and then he said

"Danny Dyer is what you and me would have been if we had taken up acting."

I cannot see it myself.

"A working class hero is something to be." Name the song and the writer.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Umm, that would be 'Working Class Hero' by John Lennon. Also covered by Marianne Faithfull on her 'Broken English' album. Yes?
 
I kept seeing trailers for "Sleeping Dogs" a few months ago, but then dead silence. I wonder if it every got released over here, or was rescheduled? Glad to know you enjoyed it - it's never clear whether that kind of thing will cross the line to cringe-inducing.
 
dougzar: Absolutely correct. It wasn't a serious question, though? Does anybody not know that song or who wrote it?

No, I was trying to make a (weak) comment that anybody who comes from a working class country in this country, and becomes successful whilst appearing to remain working class, is a hero.

I don't know where Danny Dyer comes from. Maybe he is a nice middle class boy acting working class. I don't know.

medusa: It's out on DVD in the States on 10th April 2007, so I think it has probably been and gone in the cinemas. You should rent it, though. I think you would be pleasantly suprised.
 
Shoot! I thought I was going to win a prize for being such a smart-arse! "A night of passion with Pynchon". Ooh-err!
 
First prize is a night with me. Second prize is two nights!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?