Sunday, February 11, 2007

 
Up and down. Up and down.

Two minutes after I logged off Lorraine walked in with Valentines Day presents, giving me the unmissable offer to open them early. (Probably because she had forgotten to buy any wrapping paper.) Will power is not a phrase I am familiar with, so I said OK.

She bought me the box set of "Night Gallery Series One" (which was Rod Serling's television follow up to the legendary "The Twilight Zone", and is not as highly regarded by the critics, but it had some very good stories and I remember it fondly) and "The Quatermass Collection" (which contains what remains of the original television versions of "The Quatermass Experiment", "Quatermass II" and "Quatermass And The Pit") and is something that I have promised to buy myself for a very long time.

I was not allowed to open the card. The card will have to wait until Wednesday.

My presents to her? "Bat Out Of Hell II" by Meatloaf (we are going to see him in May) and the largest box of chocolates in Thorntons. It doesn't sound much, but I think we spent about the same amount of money.

We had a hug and a kiss and things seem to be OK again. Until the next time.

I forgot to mention that I went to see the Hugh Grant/Drew Barrymore vehicle "Music And Lyrics" yesterday.



There was a perverse reason for seeing this film. Most of my write ups of the films I've seen this year have been, in the main, quite positive. I wanted to see something that had a better than average chance of being dreadful. Perspective required and all that.

Guess what? "Music And Lyrics" isn't dreadful. In fact I would go so far as to say that it is a great and entertaining movie and totally hit the spot for me this weekend when I needed to laugh.

Yes, it is 20 minutes too long and yes, Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore hardly stretch themselves and can do this kind of stuff in their sleep and yes, it is predictable in the extreme, but it is very funny, Hugh is charming and Drew is gorgeous (I have had long discussions with a certain guy who thinks that Drew is not gorgeous and is actually deformed, but he is a prick, because Drew is gorgeous and I will come after anybody who disagrees with me with a gun). There is also a spot on spoof of an 80's pop video for a song "Pop Goes My Heart", at the beginning and end of the movie, and that song will stick in your head for hours afterwards. They should release it. It would be a hit.

And on that note, I'm off the copy music. Sister 2 has borrowed me one of her Sugababes albums.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?