Saturday, January 28, 2006

 
I've just re-read my last post. From that post you might have inferred that I was finished with the blog, that I had had enough and I was on my way. No, such luck I'm afraid. After a short period in which I made love to a beautiful woman, got screaming drunk, told my manager Orville Turd that my pay review was "shit" and "appalling" and "disgusting" and that departmental manager James Cunt was a "fat", er, "cunt", told the rest of the office the same, had a puff or two on some ganja, I'm feeling on top of the world.

I did try to post on Thursday night after watching "The Eleventh Hour" (this week Ashley Jensen had a shower scene, but sadly didn't show anything, Boo! Hiss!), but Blogger was fucking about, so I gave up. Instead I haunted various message boards on the net causing misery and distress wherever I landed.

Friday afternoon we got the annual pay insult. I am proud to announce that as of the end of the month I will be taking home approximately twenty quid more a month. That converts to 35.46USD, 40.65CAD, 47.18AUD, 217.79ZAR a month, for those that are interested. Frankly, it is fucking rubbish. I am worth more. They know it and I know it. Percentage wise Lorraine got a little more than me, but she is also worth more. Lorraine works harder than me, puts in longer hours and is more dedicated. (During her review she told James Cunt that she would be interested in going for Orville Turd's job. He seemed taken aback by her brazen ambition.) They told me that I was lucky, as some people did not get any pay increase. (Apparently mostly programmers and developers. I am rubbing my two fingers together and playing the world's smallest violin, just for them.) I told Orville Turd that they were taking the piss thinking that I would be happy with twenty quid a month more, and that I would be considering my position over the weekend.

There are dark rumours that a takeover of the Company is imminent. Bring on that happy day, but I hope to have left first.

Last night we showed our faces at Freddie Broad's 40th birthday drink at The Station in Sutton Coldfield. We couldn't stay long, because I had agreed to work half day on Saturday, but we stayed long enough for me to get very drunk, smoke a bit of an interesting substance and watch two blokes at another table intently because the one of them was an albino and the spitting image of legendary DJ Jimmy Saville, and the other looked like a 1970's Open University lecturer. Heroes, I suppose.

I went to work this morning. I was slightly under the weather, I suppose, but the guy working with me did not notice. Afterwards the guy gave me a lift into town. He had the Ordinary Boys album on in the car. They sounded very Jam/Clash/New Wavey. I liked it.

In town I bought some food and also the N.M.E. for the first time in about 5 years. The N.M.E. listed what they thought were the top 100 British albums of all time. Interestingly enough I own 7 out of the 10 albums in the top 10. (I'm cool!) "The Stone Roses" album was number 1.

When I finally got home Lorraine jumped on me just as I got into the house and said that I must buy the Arctic Monkey's album for her. This was a surprise. To my knowledge the last album Lorraine ever purchased was "The Game" by the Osmonds, circa 1972. ("The Game" is apparently very good and contains the mighty "Crazy Horses".) I asked Lorraine why she wanted the Arctic Monkey's album and she said that she was "Intrigued by them" and mumbled something about the Chris Evans Show on Radio 2. Oh. That's OK, then.

I have not heard so much as a note of the Arctic Monkey's music. I know that they are getting a lot of hype at present. Good band? Bad band? Anybody care to comment? It doesn't really matter. I am going to buy it anyway. Interesting enough, for a band that only released their album on 23rd January 2006, the album is in the top 10 of the 100 best British albums of all time in this weeks N.M.E. Slightly premature, perhaps?

Gotta go. A hot woman awaits. I'll be back tomorrow for more fun and frolics.

Comments:
Didn't you mention that you were considering leaving the company this year (this January)? Or have you decided to stay, with now that you've received that huge pay increase? I'm just playing devil's advocate :)

Have fun tonight (wink wink nudge nudge)
 
Ah yes, annual pay reviews. What a crock they are. Mind you, a lot of companies are outsourcing a lot of its development work to India...

The Arctic Monkey's album, is good I'm one of the 350,000 people tha pre-ordered a copy... I think the hype is a bit over the top but they're by far the best british band of that genre, leaving the Libertines et al for dust. Only the Strokes really hold a candle to them in my view.
 
the Strokes? good god, man.

It's not one of the best 100 albums ever. How anything that has been out for seven days can claim to be beggars belief.

It's an OK record. They are not all hype; there is some substance there and some great observational lyrics. I wouldn't say it's genius, but it's worth your tenner.
 
Ginny - I do intend to leave, I just... am too lazy to have done anything about it yet.

Damn. Caught out.

Stef - Outsourcing to India. Exactly what my company have done, for some of the programming work, and what a crock of shit they are producing as well. Trust me on this one. It is not just a knee jerk racist reaction.

My Brother really rates the Strokes. I don't know anything about them.
 
While I say I do like the Arctic Monkey's album I do agree it's a bit early to be in the top 100 albums of all time. It has the potential to be, but...

Lord Bargain, i suppose I should go and see A-Ha in concert rather than The Strokes or the Arctic Monkeys?
*shakes head*
*smirks*
*ducks*

Pynchon, that doesn't surprise me about the quality of the work coming from India but a company that gets the developers to do their own testing obviously has quality pretty low down on their agenda...
 
20 quid a month does sound a little like an insult.

The Strokes?? Arctic Monkeys?? I'll have that A-Ha ticket, thanks!
 
I got a pay-raise at my pub-job....how much??....an extra 10p an hour...whoo hoo.....just think what'll I'll be able to do with the extra money...is it too early to get that swimming pool??
 
dude,

the arctic monkeys rock. saw them at cardiff and my bro saw them at astoria, london last year. absolutely amazing and some of the best tracks aint even on the album . gona put on b sides.
 
So many comments...

I've ordered the Arctic Monkey's album (and the best of the Rolling Stones, when I realised that I had no Stones record to load onto my MP3 player). I reckon my good lady will hate it and I will like it.

I went to see A-Ha with Lord Bargain and it was a great gig. Really. Morten Harket looks disgustingly young as well.
 
Just mentioned your pay increase woes to Helen. We were in hysterics yesterday. not necessarily in a good way either.

An email came round informing all staff that they could now chose to have a mobile phone, computer, child care vouchers or pension as a benefit this year.

INSTEAD OF A PAYRISE!!!

I'm opting for the cuddly toy and Helen's going for the new set of frying pans. We're assuming the fuckwit that now runs this firm has forgotten that bills increase every year and most of us on the lower levels can barely afford to live in this area as it is!

I can't wait to buck up the courage to quit...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?