Wednesday, September 05, 2007

 
"Seraphim Falls".



I went into this film expecting nothing. Basically that was because I knew nothing about it. It was suggested by a friend that I might like to see "Seraphim Falls" before it vanished from the British cinemas, as it had died on it's arse upon release in the states. I'm glad that I did because, for most of the time, "Seraphim Falls" is a rather interesting, exciting, dirty and realistic western.

Good things.

A particularly cold and icy performance by the underrated Liam Neeson as the mysterious, relentless and unstoppable Colonel Carver. A great, Bond shredding performance by Pierce Brosnan as the even-more-mysterious Gideon. (Perhaps, in retrospect, not that Bond shredding. Gideon is naturally resourceful, a genius born killer and survivor, able to withstand great hardship and pain. Does that sound like anybody Brosnan has played before?) The film also looks absolutely beautiful. Mountain and the desert locations have never looked so good.

Bad things.

Call me mad, but when we finally got to the flashback that explained the reason behind Carver's pursuit of Gideon, it was faintly disappointing. The reason, life changing though it was, just seemed a bit trite, predictable and ordinary, compared to the existential battle of wills that preceded it. I don't suppose that I really needed or cared to know the reasons behind Carver's pursuit of Gideon. The pursuit was the thing.

Also, "Seraphim Falls" goes a bit bonkers towards the end, with near parody (but I suppose fun) turns by Wes Studi and Angelica Houston. Now, I like a bit of mysticism in my westerns, but it wasn't needed here and it was kind of out of place.

So, "Seraphim Falls" is better than not bad. Most of the time.

Labels:


Comments:
I'm not a hugh fan of westerns, but I, too, liked this movie.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?