Wednesday, September 05, 2007

 
I'm nearly done with the reviews. Time for the play reviews. I will be brief.

(Soon we can get back onto my favourite subject. Me. Pretentious? Moi? Hah!)

"The Last Confession". The Haymarket Theatre. Matinee performance. 25th August 2007.



On August 26th 1978 Pope Paul VI died. He was succeeded by Albino Luciani, who named himself John-Paul I in tribute to his predecessors John XXXIII and Paul VI. To the shock of the Catholic world, John-Paul I reigned as Pope for only 33 days, dying suddenly of a heart attack on September 28th 1978.

Or is that really how he died?

"The Last Confession" is set 4 years later and purports to be the confession of Cardinal Giovanni Benelli (played by David Suchet), a one time a potential Pope himself and a great supporter of John-Paul I, to a mysterious and unnamed confessor (played by Michael Jayston). Benelli tells of power struggles within the Vatican to decide the future of the Catholic church. Of a man determined to modernise the Catholic church from the top down, and as such, a dangerous threat to the Vatican hierarchy. Of possible conspiracies and lies and deceit. Of corruption.

Heavy going. Yes? No. Not a bit of it.

Going to see "The Last Confession" was hardly my idea (I had my eye on the musical "Cabaret" for the afternoon matinee), but Lorraine insisted that she wanted to see it, so we did. I am glad to say that once I got into it, I was thoroughly gripped. "The Last Confession" is a sharp political thriller and icily funny. Actually really funny, and also moving, when you consider what might have been.

I know nothing much of David Suchet, other than the "Poirot" TV series (shameful, I know), but he dominated the stage. A really great performance. I wouldn't be surprised if awards come his way once the stage awards season starts. I was also very happy to finally see the actor Michael Jayston on stage, who is an actor I have admired for a very long time. I didn't even know he was in the play until I read the programme.

I think "The Last Confession" is only on for another couple of weeks. I urge you to go and see it. You will not be disappointed.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?