Thursday, September 13, 2007

 
Hello illness, my old friend...

I didn't go to work yesterday. When I woke up and tried to get out of bed, the room started spinning around me. (Not literally. We do not get that many cyclones in Birmingham.) When I eventually did manage to get up, I went to the toilet, went downstairs and had some breakfast. I then checked out the palpitations in my chest, the fact that I was very hot and sweaty and felt like I was going to be sick, and the fact that everything was very bright and hurt my eyes. Then I went back to bed.

Things did get better during the day. A little bit better.

I went to work today and lasted until lunchtime. Lorraine sent me home on the proviso that, as I couldn't get a Doctor's appointment, I ring NHS Direct for advice and that I would be honest with them. (I hate talking to real life flesh and blood people about being ill. I know. I do it all the time, here, but you lot don't count.)

I did ring NHS Direct. I was honest. The palpitations have stopped, but I have a permanent sickly feeling in my chest. My head is cloudy, but the room is no longer spinning around me. I have no appetite. I am going to the toilet a lot. I have tried to be sick twice, but nothing is coming up, probably because I have eaten very little since last night.

The very nice nurse (I imagined her as Kate Winslet in a nurses outfit) on the phone assured me that I am not going to die, although she suggested that I see a Doctor as soon as I can. I will be going tomorrow morning, first thing.

What is this nonsense? It seems that lately I am always ill. What is causing this? I need to know and I need to make it stop. Stomach bug? Viral infection? Flu? Food poisoning? Mid-life crisis? Concern that David Tennant might be leaving "Doctor Who"? Your guess is as good as mine.

I am just bored with it. That is all.

Oh, well. To look on the bright side. I was such a martyr at work this morning, absolutely nobody is expecting me to be in tomorrow. It hasn't stopped me from feeling guilty about it, though. I am not a skiver and I do not like take the piss with time off.

Labels:


Comments:
Hope you feel better soon John. Love the memes!
 
Yeah... get better soon. And figure out why you keep getting ill. It can't be fun. Eat more fruit and veg!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?