Thursday, September 06, 2007

 
"The 39 Steps". The Criterion Theatre. Evening performance. 25th August 2007.



It's funny how these things work out.

About a month ago, on one lazy Saturday afternoon, I found myself watching Hitchcock's 1935 movie version of "The 39 Steps". I cannot be bothered to look up the post at this exact moment, but I think I remember writing that I thought that "The 39 Steps" was a little bit old and a little bit creaky, but that the script still sparkled and probably would still work as a modern film with modern production values.

Did I mention at the time that I thought "The 39 Steps" was also prime material for a parody of an old fashioned British thriller, featuring a frowning hero well versed in the art of the stiff upper lip? I don't think that I did, but I thought it at the time. (I have resisted the temptation to adjust the previous post. Revisionism of history is so easy when blogging, isn't it?)

For a while now the Arts pullout in Saturday's edition of "The Independent" has had the stage version of "The 39 Steps" as one of the best 5 West End shows in London, and rightly so. "The 39 Steps" is a riotous, energetic and glorious piss take of Hitchcock's movie.

"The 39 Steps" features 4 actors playing 139 roles. A nearly empty stage. Clever props (packing cases, chairs, a window frame, a door frame, a toy train) and lighting. With those ingredients, plus great performances, "The 39 Steps" manages to duplicate the entire original movie.

I thought "The 39 Steps" was wonderful. Absolutely brilliant and a great tribute to the original film. Really funny and well worthy of the Olivier award it picked up for best comedy last year.

********

No more reviews until the weekend.

You're relieved....? I'm knackered. It's hard work writing, when you actually have nothing to write and are crap at it anyway.

Oh, by the way. I forgot to mention it. The Corporation has decided to finally scrap the product that I work on.

Worry? Me? No sweat. Apparently I still have a job. I don't know how that happened, but I suspect that the photos I have of the new M.D. with a mountain goat might have something to do with my delayed departure.

Lorraine is dragging me along with her tomorrow to see her ex-Boss' new baby. (Ex-Boss being Bobby Blue who is married to the lovely Lana with the torquoise eyes. I think I may have mentioned Lana before.) I may be here to post, or I may not. Either way, I will be back on Saturday.

Have a good weekend, all.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?