Thursday, August 30, 2007

 
"Definition: Blog, Blogging. A frequent, chronological publication of personal thoughts and Web links."

Hmm. I think I'll just skip the chronological bit.

********

The concierge that we dealt with mostly at the hotel was a lovely Spanish guy who went by the name of Tomas. Very short, very slim, very young and very dapper. He had a pencil thin moustache, spoke very softly and was extremely courteous and polite, even after we must have annoyed him with a million silly questions.

Such as, from me.

Can you tell us how to get to the O2 Arena?

"Not a problem, Senor. Take the Jubilee line Westbound from Green Park tube station (just around the corner, Senor) and get off at North Greenwich. The O2 Arena is but a stones throw away."

Or from Lorraine.

Can you tell us where the Calvin Klein shop is?

"Ah, Senorita. You are maybe a little early. The new shop will be opening on Regent Street in a couple of months, but you can still find the old shop on Bond Street."

Me again.

Tomas. I cannot tell my arse from my elbow. Can you help?

"I can, my English friend. Your elbow is up your arm from your wrist. As for your arse, take both hands, put them behind your back with your palms on your back and move in a southwards direction. There, you will find your arse."

Thanks, Tomas. You were a real star.

********

On Sunday night we went to see the Rolling Stones at the O2 Arena.




I had an ambition. After many years that ambition has finally been fulfilled. The ambition? To see at least one original member of the 5 greatest British bands of the Sixties in concert.

Those bands, and the members I have seen.
  1. The Beatles. (Paul McCartney.)
  2. The Rolling Stones. (Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts.)
  3. The Who. (Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, John Entwistle.)
  4. The Kinks. (Ray Davies.)
  5. The Small Faces. (Ian MacLagen.)

(You can disagree with that list, and I'm sure you will. Disagreements are always welcome on this blog.)

It will be difficult to write about the gig without dropping into sad fanboy gushing, but I will try.

The Stones kicked off with "Start Me Up" and they finished with "Brown Sugar". In between there was nearly continuious, 180%, up tempo Rock 'n' Roll. If I had to make a small criticism it would be that, other than Keith's growling "You Got The Silver" (probably growling because he had just eaten a cigarette in front of 20,000+ people - no ban on eating cigarettes rather than smoking them!), a slinky "Miss You" and the gentle guitar intro to "You Can't Always Get What You Want", it was a concert without mood or shade or colour. There were none of the big Stones ballads, as a respite from the relentless energy pouring off the stage, just riff after riff.

Amongst others, they played "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", "Rough Justice", "Honky Tonk Women", "Tumbling Dice", "She Was Hot" (a great, practically forgotten song, that I never in a million years thought they would play), "Sympathy For The Devil" (woo-woos supplied by a collection of Stones wives, girlfriends and children), "Paint It Black", "Satisfaction" and, of course, "Jumping Jack Flash".

No "Let's Spend The Night Together" or "Ruby Tuesday". Bastards. Didn't matter. Charlie was effortlessly cool. He barely broke sweat. Ronnie looked gaunt, but played like a genius. So did Keith. Smiling. Pointing at the band. Directing events. Laughing. He looked like he was having the time of his life and it was great to see. And Mick. Ah... Mick. How old are you exactly? 64 going on 24. That's how old. Still a brilliant performer and dancer and singer.

If you want to read a proper review, and see some pictures, click here. I am just a sad fanboy. I don't pretend I can write a review worth a damn.

I can die happy. I have seen the Rolling Stones in concert. And it was good.

********

St. Pauls Cathederal is much bigger than I thought it would be. The Tower of London is much smaller than I thought it would be. H. M. S. Belfast is about the size I thought it would be.

********

I had to wear my sunglasses when I walked over the Millenium Bridge. It was such a sunny day that it hurt my eyes to look at it.

The Millenium Bridge still sways when you walk over it.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Pink Floyd.
 
Sounds like a great show...and happy b'day.
 
Oh gosh, that brings back memories of my last two trips to London, in '93 and '94. Shoot, but that was ages ago. I really must pull finger and get back to the big smoke, if only for a weekend.
 
I was going to say Pink Floyd too. But I have been beaten to it. So I will just say that The Rolling Stones really are an ugly bunch, aren't they?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?