Sunday, July 29, 2007

 
This afternoon I went to see "Hairspray".



If you think that "Grease" is the greatest movie of all time (Sister 1 does), or you think that what we really need are more films like "Dirty Dancing" (yes, Sister 1 again), or you think that "High School Musical" is the best movie to come along in the past couple of years (no, that was my Niece talking that time) then you are really going to love "Hairspray". Myself I thought it was corny, cliched, camp beyond belief and as subtle as a sledgehammer.

However, get this. "Hairspray" is totally saved by it's energy, exuberance and great songs. True, John Travolta is a tad underused and a prime example of stunt casting, but he really sparked off Christopher Walken during their scenes together. The whole black/white integration plot was a bit heavy handed, but there was no way that it could have been done more subtly in this kind of movie. Michelle Pfeiffer and Brittany Snow were good as the hissable villains. Amanda Byrnes was lovable as the best friend of the heroine. (And actually kind of sexy. Don't look at me like that. She's 21. I checked. I'm only 43; nearly 44. It could work between us.) Nikki Blonsky, and especially Elijah Kelley, were just bags of energy. They exploded off the screen.

Some won't get "Hairspray". There were some walkouts from the screening I attended. (Boo, hiss! Be off with you to watch robots killing each other!) More fool them. But, if you do get it, "Hairspray" is a great, fun film.

Other than that it has been a pretty quiet day.

Lorraine had her hair done and is now blonder than ever. She has arranged an appointment for two days before we go to London, so that she is beautiful for the Rolling Stones.

My Mom is going into hospital sometime in October for an operation on her knee. She was pissed off that I didn't ring her in the week to see how she got on, but I had a good reason. I forgot. She was still pissed off, though.

This evening we watched a film called "Funky Monkey". No. I don't have any excuse, but Matthew Modine was in it, and that is enough excuse for Lorraine to watch any film.

Labels:


Comments:
boo.

yep.. i'm back sorta. heh.

:)
 
I remember you...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?