Tuesday, July 10, 2007

 
Somewhere along the way I forgot to mention seeing "Grow Your Own" at the Midlands Art Centre, on Saturday.



While it's not exactly a film that is going to set the world on fire with it's originality, "Grow Your Own" is a perfectly OK drama/comedy. (Note, it is a drama/comedy rather than a comedy/drama. There is a difference.)

The trailer would have you believe that "Grow Your Own" is a film concerned with British eccentrics, stuck in their ways, perturbed by the influence of foreigners on the little piece of England they call the Allotment. Er... Actually that is exactly what it is about (cliches ahoy!), but it is the sometimes very tragic human stories behind the cliches that make "Grow Your Own" interesting enough.

The cast is made up of the same faces that are always turning up in British films. (Philip Jackson, Eddie Marsan, John Henshaw, Olivia Colman, Omid Djalili, et al.) All of them perfectly, and probably obviously, cast.

Not world breaking, but a perfectly amiable film for a quiet afternoon at the cinema. Yes, it is another, I'm assuming, lottery funded British movie of no interest to anybody outside of the British Isles, but give it a go. You might like it.

******

The Company is now The Corporation. The takeover, announced several months ago, has been ratified. There was a presentation outside the canteen today. I didn't attend. I had important things to do like plucking the hair out of my arse. Lorraine didn't push the point. Somebody had to stay behind to man the phones.

One of the reasons I didn't go was because I was annoyed by the 'welcome' email from the new Chief Executive. In it he compared the two pre-takeover Companies as being 'Championship Teams' and the post-takeover Corporation as being a 'Premiership Team, soon the win the Cup!'

Utter nonsense. Fucking bollocks.

I didn't fancy hearing any more of this Corporate shit. Apparently, from the reactions of people afterwards, I made the right decision. The cunts suits shifted greasily like used car salesmen or paedophiles and nothing of interest was said. Difficult answers to difficult questions (like "Will there be redundancies?") were glossed over. ("There are a lot of decisions to be made", blah, blah.) Did we really expect anything else? No.

A new Corporation logo was unveiled. Very nice. Later, I unveiled my own Corporation logo. Two stick men, signifying the workers and the management, underneath The Corporation logo. The worker stick man is bending over while the manager is fucking him up the arse. Tasteful, I thought. I stuck it on my PC. Lorraine removed it. For some reason she didn't like it.

I think I should really get my CV started, but at the moment I am channelling Keith Allen, a man who really does not appear to give a fuck about much all. A good book will always influence my thinking.

I'm just about to start "Mort" by Terry Pratchett. Pray for me.

Labels: ,


Comments:
You're never going to get an honest answer out of the suits, and I think you did best by not going.

The football metaphor is a very cheap stunt and is obviously their way of communicating to the 'lower' plebs in basic language they can understand. What a load of bollocks.
 
'Mort' is one of my favourite Pratchetts, and also one of the funniest. Hope you enjoy it.

Don't let The Corporation get you down. Maybe they'll give you lots and lots of money to go away!
 
yeah, Mort's a good one. Don't let them get in the way of getting your CV sorted though mate. Now's a good time to get it sorted; nothing happens job-wise in August or December and January so you only really have the 3 months in between...
 
my company has just been subject to a merger and then a buyout. We had a big ra-ra speech from the biggest of the big cheeses today (the day after the two other big cheeses both quit). I've never been that close to a billionaire before.

I thought he was a bit of a twat, to be honest.

He just spent £11b on a company.

Holy shit.

Surely there's better things to spend that kind of money on?

ST

(and mort is great. My favourite Pratchett is "Small Gods" as it lampoons the things people do in the name of religion. It does not lampoon religion or religious people. There's a difference. Pratchett is a genius in an under-appreciated genre)
 
Rubbish employers suck. Mainly, in my opinion, because they give all employers a bad name. And there are some fantastic employers out there. Even some fantastic Very Rich ones, if rumours are to be believed. Plus, I don't believe you can have a successful business of any sort if you treat your employees like crap. Decent employers know this.

Yours sound like condescending prats. Don't let 'em get to you, Pynchy. You're better than them.
 
Mort? Thumbs up.

The Corporation? Thumbs down.

One of the remaining Director's from 'our' side quit this week. He has gone to one of our competitors. Oh, how I laughed.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?