Wednesday, June 06, 2007

 
We have been preoccupied.

Lorraine's Step Dad, Ian, has been diagnosed with bowel cancer. From what I have wrangled out of Lorraine, the initial diagnosis is that the problem can be addressed by a simple operation and that no chemotherapy will be necessary. This is little comfort to Lorraine who remembers being told exactly the same thing when her Mom was diagnosed with cancer. We know how that ended.

Ian will be going into hospital next week. Lorraine will be taking a little time off work to stay with Ian's missus Penny. The Company have made sympathetic noises, but are probably less than impressed, as certain targets are now not going to be hit.

Hey, you know what I think? Fuck 'em. Lorraine thinks the same. Good girl.

Lorraine loses herself in routine. I can also lose myself in routine. The routine of writing drivel. That I can do quite easily.

"Jindabyne".



"Jindabyne" is a brilliant adaptation of the Raymond Carver story "So Much Water So Close To Home". The story was adapted before in 1993 as one of the many plot strands of Robert Altman's movie "Short Cuts" (by the way, another great movie).

Away from home on a fishing trip, four men find the body of a dead girl in a river. Rather than inform the authorities straight away, the men tie the body up to prevent it floating away and continue with their fishing trip. The film deals with the consequences of that decision.

"Jindabyne" is a brilliant, brilliant film. Beautifully shot in muted browns, greens and yellows amid the panoramic vistas of the Australian outback, it deals with death and the aftermath of death, grief, depression and feelings long considered buried. It is a proper grown up, adult, melancholic, and sometimes spooky film ,and it is really good.

I've long thought that Laura Linney is one of the great unsung treasures of modern mainstream cinema, and make no mistake, this is her showcase from start to end. She gives a wonderful and subtle performance as Gabriel Byrne's damaged wife. Gabriel Byrne is also wonderful. He is such an underrated actor. Real power, anger and distress behind his eyes. He should do more work.

Great film. Highly recommended.

"Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End".


"Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End" is too much.

Trust me. It's not a recommendation.

It is too long, too loud, too boring and there is too much stuff going on onscreen. Utterly confusing and incoherent. As for the acting... I know that it is too much to expect anything more than acting broad strokes in a Summer Blockbuster tent pole release, but Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley were personality vacuums and Johnny Depp was not nearly as funny as in the previous movies. And Keith Richards cameo? OK. I admit it. I did smile when he appeared.

Keef rules!

Yes, "Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End" cost a lot of money, and make no mistake, the money is all up there on the screen ( the special effects are astounding), but it is a terrible, terrible movie in almost every other way possible. Repeat after me, special effects alone do not a movie make.

I hear that "Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End" has just won the best movie in the MTV awards. Ah... I take it all back, then. Stupid children.

Oh, well. What do I know? I didn't even want to see it. I was only dragged along by Lorraine on her annual trip to the flicks. Thank God she didn't want to see "Spider-Man 3: Pile Of Pee". Urgh.

I have finished reading "The Circe Complex" by Desmond Cory. I enjoyed it a great deal. Even though it was written in the mid 70's, I think that it would still make a very good movie. I remember very well the "Armchair Thriller" production on ITV in 1980 that starred Beth Morris, Alan David and James Hazeldine. Very tense and scary. Hmm... I especially remember Beth Morris, who was a particular favourite of mine around that time. She played Caligula's very naughty sister Drusilla in "I, Claudius", a couple of years earlier. It's about time I watched that again. I have it on DVD.

Inspired by "Jindabyne", I am now reading Raymond Carver's first collection of short stories, "Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?" Devastating snapshots of real life and what goes on under the surface of real life. I've nearly finished it.

It is only June and I have booked this year's, or more accurately, next year's Panto. Lorraine (assuming she is still with me), my Niece and Nephew will be going to see "Aladdin" at the Birmingham Hippodrome on 5th January 2008. The reason for the early booking? John Barrowman is scheduled to star and Lorraine really likes John Barrowman. Actually, so do I. Very talented guy. We have seen him onstage a couple of times.

Here is a picture of him. For the ladies.



Sorry to say, ladies, but he's married. To a very nice architect called Scott Gill.

Apparently making an appearance at the Panto will be the Daleks, which was of much more interest to my Niece and Nephew.

Finally, I mentioned that I am writing something. I will keep it under my hat for the moment, but it is a big alternate history that will span 50 years. I may never finish it. It is driving me mad. I am dreaming about it.

Another time.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Hey, Pynch. I very much want to see Jindabyne — I saw "Short Cuts" in the theater and remember this storyline vividly (if only for the fact that you see more of Huey Lewis than you ever thought you would). I love Laura Linney as well. Did you see "You Can Count On Me"? She was so wonderful in it. Sorry to hear about Lorraine's stepdad. I hope everything turns out well.
 
Yeah. I hope Lorraine's stepdad makes a full recovery, and that it's not too stressful on either of you.

I also want to see Jindabyne. I've read lots of good things about it. And I, too, love Gabriel Byrne. I think he's a brilliant actor and I always think it's a shame he doesn't get more recognition. There's just something about him that I find strangely attractive. You can keep your Blooms and Depps. I'd take Gabriel any day.
 
katyola: I did see "You Can Count On Me". Absolutely wonderful. Really funny, as well. I do love Laura Linney.

skywolf: Gabriel Byrne is really underrated, but I think I said that.

Also, thank you both for your kind wishes. Ian is a tough old bastard. I'm sure that he will be fine.
 
My boss has bowel cancer. When it was first diagnosed the doctor recommended the operation but he preferred not to have 'the bag' and so opted for chemo and radio. Unfortunately that didn't nuke it so he had to have the op anyway but after it had spent 2 years growing.

If it's an early diagnosis, take the op
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?