Thursday, May 03, 2007

 
A couple of days ago I finally finished reading "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser. From the cows in the field to the slaughterhouses to the smiling (or scowling - a special Hi there! to the employees at Burger King in Martineau Square, Birmingham) staff serving you the crap at your local McDonalds/Burger King/Kentucky Fried Chicken . Shocking stuff, it must be said. Much more shocking than the movie "Super Size Me", because I thought the argument of that movie was pretty bloody obvious unless you were retarded. If you eat nothing but McDonalds food constantly for 30 days obviously you would make yourself ill. Everybody knows that, don't they?

No?

Oh dear. The human race is fucked then.

Even after reading "Fast Food Nation" I don't think I could ever become a vegetarian. I like meat, but from now on I will endeavour to eat a better quality of meat. I have stopped eating the ground up, dodgy meat slop that they constantly serve up in The Company canteen. No more burgers, chilli, bolognaise, etc. It's shit and I've always known it.

Lecture over. I'm not on a mission to save to world, but I don't intend to go into a burger joint ever again. Not lovin' it.

(The movie adaptation of "Fast Food Nation" starts in the UK today on limited release, but sadly not in Birmingham. I think the MAC has it in June.)

I am now reading something lighter. "Equal Rites" by Terry Pratchett, which is the 3rd in the "Discworld" series. Very good, so far, but it is early days yet. This year I intend every 3rd book that I read to be a "Discworld" novel. We have 11 of the buggers on the shelf and Lorraine has read 10 of them. The one she hasn't read is "Hogfather", but that is only because it is number 21 in the series and she hasn't read the first 20 yet.

Lorraine and I have voted. She claims she voted Green Party, but I think she is a closet Liberal Democrat. Me? I voted Labour, to keep the Tory scum out.

Forgive me.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Thank you, coment in my blog!

keep contact!
 
I wish I could vote Green. But we never have any candidates in my area. Arse.

And I made the decision a few months ago to only buy free range meat (organic wherever possible) from now on. Yes, it's a little pricier, but you just have it less often... and it's so worth it. It tastes better, looks better, isn't full of antibiotics and unnecessary hormones, comes from much happier animals... bleh to factory farming and burger joints, I say.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?