Wednesday, April 11, 2007

 
Let's get the illness talk out of the way.

I have a cold. It's a spluttering, sniffing, coughing, retching, sweating hot and cold, kind of cold. Very miserable, very irritating, but only a cold and certainly not bad enough to keep me off work. Just as well because our section is light on it's feet, at the moment, what with Ginger Foghorn and Tom Ninety on holiday, Tina Noir in the States and Asif Aslam having called in sick for the week with gastric flu (which is almost certainly utter bollocks and everybody knows it). So, who was the idiot of a manager who signed off all of those simultaneous holiday's?

Er... That would be Lorraine.

True, she couldn't have known that James Cunt was going to send Tina Noir to the States to prop up the disintegrating Denver operation, and she couldn't have known that Asif was going to take a skive, could she?

Illness talk is now out of the way.

I wasn't here last night because I collapsed in front of the TV and stayed there until the finale of "Life On Mars" had finished.



If you're looking for spoilers, go away. You won't get any here. What I will say is that bar a couple of duff episodes over two years, "Life On Mars" has been a very enjoyable series. A good combination of comedy, drama and fantasy. Frankly, I'm sorry to see it go, but the BBC were correct in calling time on this incarnation after 16 episodes. Better to go out on a high.

Wasn't that ending interesting? Bittersweet, but kind of happy. I think that makes sense.

There was a conclusion. I half expected that the BBC would outrageously leave the explanation of the main Time Travel plot of "Life On Mars" hanging, but they didn't. Actually, there were two explanations given, each contradicting the other. (I was talking to a guy at work today who was quite beside himself trying to explain to me that the explanation given during the middle of the finale was the true one, and that the one at the end was a fantasy. I told him that he was an idiot and that he didn't understand the story at all. He got a bit upset at that....)

I hear that the master of political incorrectness, the mighty Gene Hunt, will be returning next year in a spin off "Ashes To Ashes", which is interesting in itself because...

Ah... No way to talk about it without spoilers. Let us just say that from what I've read "Ashes To Ashes" will be about a 21st century, female, criminal profiler, injured in a hostage situation, who wakes to find herself in London in 1981, working for Gene Hunt. But... If the explanation given at the end of "Life On Mars" is the true one, how can this be? What is the nature of Gene Hunt? Who is he? How can he exist for both Sam Tyler and this new person? Are they all connected in some way that will later become evident?

Or am I making too much of it?

You want to watch "Life On Mars" again, now, don't you? I know that I do.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I wish we got Life On Mars. I would definately watch it. I love BBC TV. I miss watching the East Enders. My daighter gets the BBC in Germany and tries to keep me updated on my fav shows.
 
It's apparently on BBC America. You can also buy the DVDs and it's definitely worth it. A superb show.

OK, all the way through there have been possible answers:
1) He's in a coma and imagining it all
2) He's back in 1973
3) He's mad. This latter one can be split into 3a) He's from 'the future' and imagining that he's in the 70s or 3b) He's really in the 70s and imagining he's from the future.

OK, that's 4 possible answers but you know what I mean.

Personally I believe that the one given in the middle of the show was a red herring and he really did cut his finger in that meeting but his attachment to his friends was too strong.

Phew! I think I made that without making any spoilers!

Cracking stuff anyway.
 
Hope you're feeling a little better now. Colds are icky things to have!
 
I have to agree with Stef's conclusion.
 
You need to take some vitamins... all these illnesses! Or raw garlic. Excellent stuff. No good for making friends, but germs can't stand it either.

*hands over a hot toddy*
Get well soon.
 
And they are remaking it for U.S. television: David E. Kelley (of "Ally McBeal" "The Practice" "Boston Legal" etc.) is behind it. No word yet on who will star.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?