Wednesday, April 18, 2007

 
Let me tell you about what a nice guy yours truly really is.

All day yesterday I was on a course learning about data manipulation software. It was not at all boring. In fact it was really interesting. I learnt a lot, made some really good notes and came out of the course in a really good mood.

The mood didn't last.

I got back to my desk with an hour of the working day still to go. Plenty to do, but I felt I could cram quite a bit of work into an hour. I was up for it.

Except that I couldn't log on to any of the external sites.

I asked if somebody had been messing about with the modems. I got indifference.

I asked again. Had somebody been messing with the modems? Somebody said that they thought somebody had been under my desk doing something (isn't that a great sentence?), but that it shouldn't have affected me.

I said that I was affected. Could somebody sort it out? Please?

Lorraine suggested that I have a look for myself.

And I did have a look for myself. Hardware, cables, modems, printers, mouses, routers, phone sockets, wireless, blingimigs, woofers, tweeters, blodgers, marfarrrrs, eekephips. Machines. These are not my bag. These are not things that I am happy with. I sweat when I have to plug in and mess about with machines. I don't like doing it. I especially do not like making a fool of myself at work with machines especially when there is a dedicated (hah!) section, the Internal Infrastructure Team, to do it for people like me.

Then Lorraine said, "We always have to baby you along, don't we?"

I fucking exploded. In front of everybody. In front of the whole office. Well, by that time it was 17:30 and the mass rush for the exit had started, so it wasn't everybody who witnessed the Pynchon meltdown. I ranted and I raved and I banged the desk with anger.

Something had fucking changed. Someone had stopped me doing my work. Somebody had gotten in my way. Somebody should take responsibility. All I wanted was help to do my fucking work and all I was getting was indifference. Like our customers. Like everybody that The Fucking Company deal with. I could see the James Cunt in his office. He heard what I said.

Lorraine was very red in the face. She said some things and I said some things and a guy who was going to give Lorraine and me a lift home quietly disappeared. I don't blame him. He probably thought we would start punching each other in his car.

Eventually, after a very quiet journey on the bus, we got home and started again.

Lorraine said that I had shown her up in front of everybody. She said that I had embarrassed her. She said that work was bad enough as it was without me being a bastard. She said that if she let me get away with it, I was giving all of her staff carte blanch to talk to her how the hell they wanted. I said that I really didn't give a fuck.

But... She was right.

I regret it. I could have handled it a lot better. I could have chosen not to lose my temper. You can choose to do that, you know. I know that sometimes I have anger problems, but it rarely turns into a red mist moment. My Mom has told me that my Dad used to have those a lot when he had been drinking.

You can choose not to be an arsehole and that's what I have become.

Before stopping to watch "C.S.I. Crime Scene Investigation" and "Smith" I listened to "In Utero" by Nirvana on my MP3 player. I am pretty certain that the last time I listened to that album was the evening in 1994 that Sister 3 had her abortion. I paid for that abortion. She asked me for the money because nobody else would help her out. Maybe "In Utero" is my severe crisis album?

Yes, I am a really nice guy. A really fine piece of work.

(By the way, when I got into work this morning the connectivity on my PC was fine. Lorraine had crawled under my desk and sorted it out. That really made me feel good. Nothing else was said at work by anybody. Pynchon survives, but it will be a blessed relief if I am sacked.)

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Don't feel bad about it. If I'd had one more interaction with a certain person at my work earlier this week, you and I would be in the same boat. And I have to say, Lorraine's remark about "babying you along" wasn't very nice. Or professional, for that matter.
 
No. I don't think Lorraine's remark here is important, and I think you know it. It was an ill-judged remark and probably deserved some sort of response... but you're right about your temper and you could have bottled it and thrown it in her face at a time of your choosing (or just swallowed it altogether). I was very hurt at C's 30th birthday bash when she made a speech and the only references to me were jokey ones. It hurt. I sucked it all in and smiled and nodded at everyone there when all I wanted to do was to get up and walk off. I talked to her about it later and she was mortified. That's all I needed.

What I like about you is that you are big enough to tell us that you think that Lorraine is right. I respect you for that and it confirms my opinion that you are a thoroughly decent man.

Anyone can lose their temper and we all say things that we regret. The thing is though, what are you going to do about it?

ST
(I hope I don't sound preachy - I don't mean to)
 
I've done similar things myself. Not proud moments.

However, in a moment of privacy or in a more controlled manner, Lorraine should have been confronted by that babying comment.

Still, I think my reaction to the modem situation would have been "Well, until the person who fucked this up un-fucks it I can't do any work. See ya!"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?