Sunday, April 29, 2007

 
I think the idea tonight is for Lorraine and myself to watch "Lost In Space" for the umpteenth time. I don't really mind. Many people will disagree, but I think it is a good film, and it brings back happy memories for Lorraine and myself, circa 1997. Hanging out in Nottingham with some of her male, gay friends, who all fancied Matt Le Blanc. Drinking before we got into the cinema (note - we still behaved ourselves), holding our breath during the endless moment of silence when the warp engine (or whatever it's called) is engaged and the Jupiter II goes through the Sun (oops, spoiler, sorry about that), playing around in the amusement arcade afterwards, going back to her place and playing around with each other there.

It's true. Lorraine was the perfect Girlfriend in 1997. Maybe, at that time, she thought I was the perfect Boyfriend? Don't things change, or perhaps neither of us were as perfect as we thought we were.

Anyway...

I had better get a move on.

I've just got back from seeing "Factory Girl" at The Electric.



A long time ago, when I was going through my Velvet Underground period (i.e. I bought some cassettes - eeek! - of the first two albums, and played them incessantly for a couple of months), I purchased a book called "Up-tight: The Velvet Underground Story" by Victor Bockris and and Gerard Malanga (who is actually portrayed in the movie). On page 9 of the book there is a three storey still of Edie Sedgwick taken from an Andy Warhol movie "Screen Test #1".

I'm looking at that picture now. Beautiful looking girl. Really stunning. To my eyes now she looks quite a bit like Melissa George. I think it's the jutting bottom lip that does it. In the book there is a little bit about Edie Sedgwick. She was a face at Warhol's Factory. She was a party girl. She appeared at some of Warhol's happenings and in some of his movies

That is about all of knew about Edie Sedgwick.

I saw a trailer for "Factory Girl". It's a period of time that I am interested in and the trailer indicated that it could be a good movie. I knew of Sienna Miller. She was good in "Alfie", even though it is an abomination of the original movie, and she was sexy in her little bit in "Layer Cake". Probably she is more famous now due to her tabloid activities and the whole Jude Law thing. I recognised Hayden Christensen, obviously because of the last three "Star Wars" movies, although he didn't particularly make an impression on me in those films. I didn't recognise the guy playing Andy Warhol. Not at all. I nearly fell off my seat when at the end of the trailer it said that it was Guy Pearce.

(Jabber, jabber, jabber. Get on with it.)

I thought that "Factory Girl" is a very good movie. I really enjoyed it. Very strong performances from Sienna Miller (surprisingly?) and Guy Pearce. Hayden Christensen is remote as (whisper it, because officially it is not him) Bob Dylan, but the character is supposed to be standoffish anyway, so maybe that works. The film is very evocative of time and place. It reminded me a lot of the chaotic nature of "The Doors" movie. The colours, the music, the drugs, the chaos, the pushing at the edges, the disintegration. Great soundtrack as well.

Maybe the events didn't quite happen the way the movie presents them, but I certainly would recommend the movie.

I've ran out of time. Lorraine is calling me. "Straightheads" and "Hysteria" tomorrow.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Sienna is a half-decent movie actress but Hayden? I fail to believe that was acting, surely it was just him being wooden again.

Guy Pearce is a genius though and probably my favourite movie actor; I've loved practically everything he's done and his range is superb. Might check that out on DVD
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?