Wednesday, April 04, 2007

 
I really, really, really intended to be back yesterday, but it was not going to happen.

When I got home from work I ate some food, crashed and woke up in time for "C.S.I. Crime Scene Investigation" on Channel 5. I watched that and then an episode of the crime series "Smith" on ITV4.

(Quick sidebar. I don't know if anybody has heard of it, but "Smith" is really good. It's about a professional criminal, with a wife, family, commitments, etc. and his team, and is an interesting twist on the typical gang-pulls-a-heist scenario. "Smith" flopped on it's arse in the States. Only 7 episodes were made and only 3 of them were broadcast. ITV4 have bought all 7 episodes. I suppose the producers wanted to recoup some of their losses. Interesting cast, as well. The best known names are Ray Liotta, Virginia Madsen, Jonny Lee Miller and Amy Smart. Amazingly enough I've been most impressed with Amy Smart. Her character is ice cold, dangerous and brilliant. I thought she was good in "The Butterfly Effect", but who'd have thought that she would be good in anything else? End of sidebar.)

Then I went to bed.

Boring night, eh? But I needed just to vegetate.

Before I move on to other things, I need to play catch up on the weekend. I saw two films and a stage play. Some brief thoughts on one of the films now. I will finish the other reviews tomorrow. I have left it a bit late for this evening.

On Saturday morning I went to see "300".



Maybe this says more about me than it does the movie, but I left the "300" wanting to fight somebody. Preferably after having grown a beard, stripped to the waist, found some funky head gear, a six pack and a sword. I imagined myself rampaging down Broad Street, giving forth my best battle cry to the Saturday afternoon shoppers and Birmingham City Football Club fans.

They should show "300" to the England Football team before every game. We would be World Champions, no problem.

I loved "300". Of course the script is utter nonsense (it's all fascist Gung-Ho, Fight-To-The-Death, Never-Retreat-Never-Surrender, Fight-Them-On-The-Beaches-For-God-And-Country portentousness), but the action is thrilling and the cinematography is just beautiful. Absolutely stunning. "300" uses the same techniques of live actors against hyper-realistic backgrounds that was used so successfully in "Sin City", and it works just as well.

Wonderful film.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Not seen the film, so don't know how accurately the facts are portrayed but I am very familiar with the events that unfolded back then and they were truly astounding.
 
The film is based on the comic rather than straight from the historical source material so there are two levels of 'artistic interpretation' but the basics are there.

Pynchon, you only wanted to fight the BCFC fans becuase you're swapping places with us next season! :-)
 
I haven't seen 300 — but I like the snarl on the guy's face in the picture. In TV news, you should try to watch "Thief" — it was a short-run show here that is also about a professional thief who has family issues. It's really, really good and stars Andre Braugher from Homicide: Life on the Streets.
 
Interesting about 300. I had glanced at the trailer but wasn't sure if I wanted to see it or not. I wish I had now. I might head off to the cinema tonight since I am by my lonesome tonight.
 
fuff: I wouldn't go to see "300" if you are expecting any level of realism. It's a good piece of fantasy, not a realistic sword and sandals movie. Full of grotesques, mutants and monsters. I think it is a great film.

stef: "you only wanted to fight the BCFC fans becuase you're swapping places with us next season! :-)"

Ha, ha, ha. You do make me laugh...

kayola: Never heard of "Thief", but we will probably get it. Recently we are getting a lot of one season (or less) series from the States.

daisy: Take a sword.
 
'Sword and sandals'?
LOL
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?