Friday, March 23, 2007

 
Rumours, untruths, lies, lies and damn lies.

Some of the following might contain spoilers. If they do, I apologise, but I must point out that I don't really know if any of the following are true or not. All of this information has been picked up during my travels in time and space, and you know how that goes. It frazzles the brain.

We were talking about "Doctor Who".



John Simm to be The Master.

Really? Maybe... but maybe not. It looks like John Simm is definitely going to be in the new series (there was a brief shot of him standing in front of Big Ben on the showreel shown to the press hacks at the Series 3 launch), but has the BBC confirmed anything whatsoever about the role he is going to play? I don't think they have. The fine character actor Derek Jacobi, who is also appearing in Series 3, is just as likely to be The Master because, don't forget, he has already played The Master in the webcast story "Scream Of The Shalka". Or maybe they are both to be The Master? At some point maybe Derek Jacobi, at the moment of his death, will regenerate into John Simm?

Or maybe John Simm is in the new series for a different reason? Which brings me to...

There is to be a new Doctor.

Not official, but it's coming. You know it. I know it. It just seems that we are waiting for the confirmation. Such a shame, because I really like David Tennant. David Tennant is a better Doctor than Christopher Ecclestone. (I think it was the mighty Mark who said something along the lines of, Christopher Ecclestone played the Doctor, but David Tennant is the Doctor. Mark was right.)

So, a new Doctor. Hmm... Just a thought. Maybe the new Doctor has already been cast and maybe the new Doctor is going to be John Simm? It would explain why he was on the showreel. A shock regeneration at the end of the new series? The BBC originally planned Christopher Ecclestone's departure at the end of Series 1 to be a surprise, but the news was leaked. Maybe they are trying the same thing again? Or maybe David Tennant will continue into Series 4 and leave mid-way through the run? That's something I read in some tabloid or other. If that happens, it means that the new Doctor will not be John Simm.

There are a lot of contenders for the role. These are a few of the names I've read around recently.

Robert Carlyle. (Interesting, but nah!)
David Morrissey. (Um... Yes.)
Robson Greene. (No!)
Bill Nighy. (Yes, but probably too big.)
Robert Lindsay. (Didn't he turn it down in 1981 and the part went to Peter Davison? I think he would be good.)
Jason Staham. (Terrible choice. No.)
Michael Maloney. (He'd be brilliant, but too unknown and at 50 is probably too old. I hope they go for him. I saw him onstage in "Sleuth" with Peter Bowles and he was fabulous.)
Rhys Ifans. (Just read that one. He can play serious. Did anybody see his portrayal of Peter Cook. It would work. Why not?)

May I also add my choices of Jason Flemyng (physically different from any other Doctor) and also Adrian Lester (a black Doctor, and wouldn't that bring an interesting dynamic to the show?)

There is also somebody else. Somebody else that I am absolutely sure Russell T. Davies himself linked to the role a long time ago. Somebody else that was also recently linked to the part of The Master. Somebody else, not above doing TV, who is a really good actor and is definitely making a name for himself. That person?

Michael Sheen.

I think that the new Doctor could well be Michael Sheen. I think that he would be really good.

I'm all Doctored out. Gotta go.

Labels:


Comments:
can they stop changing the Doctor? They've only just got a good one, why fuck it up?
 
I don't think they want to change The Doctor but I think the actors want to leave despite themselves. They don't want to be Tom Baker, loved but only remembered for one role...

John Simm is great but I'm not sure about The Doctor or The Master. Jacobi would be better for the latter.
 
My ideal choice for the doctor? Damien lewis. (He'd be great as Rorschach, too; but they've cast someone else in watchmen I think.)

Or David Wenham. He'd be a very physical doctor, I think. But both are too big to do the BBC....

The Doctor? Alan Rickman or Toby Stevens would be fantastic.
 
Real actors want to act. Tennant is popular and is getting offers, I don't blame him wanting to try other things.

I've pretty well convinced myself that Derek Jacobi will turn out to be The Master.

Damien Lewis is a good choice. David Wenham, I don't know. The BBC would probably never go for an Australian.

Rickman and Stevens? Yes, I could see that, but not on TV. Too big.
 
Derek Jacobi also voices that new CBeebies "In The Night Garden" programme from the people that did the Teletubbies. Watching agog as he says "Makka Pakka Wakka Woo" is a little odd.

It's hardly "I, Clavdivs", is it?
 
Dvaid Wenham? sean beans brother in LOTR. Way too big.

I meant to say Toby Stevens or Alan Rickman for the Master, not the docotr. Slipped over my own keyboard there for a second.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?