Monday, January 08, 2007

 
Lorraine went to the Vet today to pick up Ben's ashes. I would have gone with her, but I was working late. When I got home Lorraine was holding a small ceramic pot and was crying her heart out. It's not easy watching Lorraine cry. I did not cry. I think I got most of that out of me over Christmas.

The original idea was to scatter Ben's ashes in the long grass at the rear of the garden, where he used to crouch in the Summer, thinking that he was invisible. Ben was a huge, ginger monster. He was not invisible. I don't think that that is going to happen. The pot is currently in pride of place on the huge shelf that we bought to house ornaments, last summer. It's a nice little pot decorated with, I think, forget-me-nots, but Ben isn't in there. A big cat like Ben could never fit into such a small pot.

Comments:
Poor Ben.
 
My first cat Jack was knocked down by a car, and my second cat Jo died of kidney failure. They are both buried at the bottom of the family garden.
 
Yeah, those pots are so tiny. I remember how taken aback I was at the littleness of the pot my Spike's ashes are in. I buried his urn in a pot in the garden, and I plant lovely flowers in it for him every summer.
 
a very sad post.

I need your email address, by the way. mrmarkreed at hotmail dot com.
 
when my cat died (almost 10 years ago... is that possible?) i chose not to receive the ashes (though the pet crematorium sent me a nice certificate.) i wasn't sure what to do with them - i live in an apartment and don't have a yard or anything. (not even a mantel.)

my mother, who has a large farm where many animals have been buried, said I should have saved her body (not even her ashes) and sent her to her in a box, via fedex, so she could be buried in a prime spot under the old apple tree. can you imagine if that package got lost on a delivery truck?
 
My Ben is in a ceramic pot too. He was a big dog. Now in a small pot. It makes no sense.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?