Thursday, January 11, 2007

 
Boring story.

Years ago Pynchon knew somebody. (Yes I did.) Pynchon did not like this somebody. This somebody was a very big fan of the work of Terry Pratchett. Pynchon decided that as this somebody liked Terry Pratchett, Terry Pratchett must obviously be crap.

The End.

Utter nonsense of course, but I have indulged in this kind of smug damned-by-association gubbins before.

I used to work for a guy that I loathed. (Hard to believe, I know.) The guy was an arselicker, management-bollocks sprouting, glory grabbing, ignorant cunt. If there was an annual World Championship for obsequiousness this guy would be World Champion every year. (Weirdly enough I now get on fine with this guy. I think that this says an awful lot about my attitude to anybody in recent times who has ever thought that they they can manage me. My manager at the moment is Lorraine. She leaves me alone.) This guy was a huge fan of the Ricky Gervais version of "The Office" . I decided that the series obviously must be shite in the extreme if he liked it. It took two years for me to finally see the series for the genius that it is when the BBC broadcast both the first and second series over consecutive nights, a few Christmasses ago.

Lesson number 1. Even arseholes can have good taste.

When I first started going out with Lorraine she lent me a Terry Pratchett book. She said to give it a try. I did. I remember that it wasn't one of the Discworld series. I can't remember what it was called, but I didn't like it. I patted myself on the back as I could now smugly claim that, "I tried to read Terry Pratchett, but I didn't like him".

During Christmas this year Sky One broadcast an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel "Hogfather". I expressed an interest in seeing it. The trailer looked funny and interesting. It was a two parter. I watched it. I didn't get past the first part. I thought it was boring and confusing.

Before watching "Hogfather" Lorraine was happy that I was giving Terry Pratchett a chance and she bought me 3 Discworld novels for Christmas. I remember her face dropping when I told her that I thought "Hogfather" was rubbish.

Still, all's well that end's well. I love "The Colour Of Magic". If I can get a few more of the Discworld books under my belt before the end of the year, then I would like to give "Hogfather" another go.

... And that's the story of how I came to get into Terry Pratchett this New Year.

Comments:
I quite like listening to the Tony Robinson CD's of his books.
 
I loved his books and read the first twenty of his books but haven't touched one for years. Total over-dose!

I thought the Hogfather was crap too.

I seem to remember Wyrd Sisters and Guards! Guards! being two of the best.
 
"Lesson number 1. Even arseholes can have good taste.".

Urrghh! How did you find that out?! *schoolboy giggle*
 
I love Terry Pratchett.

I have every book he has ever written, I even have obscure co-written books as well as a few short stories that he had published.

Well done on giving him a go.

Look out for Good Omens, it was co-written with Neil Gaiman and is a bloody good read and it takes the piss out of religion along the way. It's a win win!
 
I've read Good Omens. It's definitely a good read. Very funny in places as well.

I was also rather bored with The Hogfather, but ended up watching it all the way through anyway. It was all a bit haphazard, I thought.
 
The only Terry Pratchett I've read was soul music. It was my ex's favourite book and he implored me to read it.
It wasn't my thing.

I know, Man Bites Dog is horrific, but it's the character's behaviour that is so funny for me, personally. The fact that he finds things about society disgusting yet goes around killing people. I thought it a feat of acting and, as a film student (of sorts...) I admired it's humble beginnings. Truly an inspiration!
 
Very good, adem. Very good.

(Note to self. More double entendre's please.)

Thanks for commenting, Sophie.
 
I've just started reading "Thud", which I've now had for over a year and never quite got round to. I've been reading the discworld books now since I was 13 years old (I'm not 32), and looking at the picture of TP on the back cover, I suddenly realised that the old boy won't go on forever, and it made me quite sad!

my favourite of the books? Small Gods. It's the sanest book on the madness of religion I have ever read.

the worst? Soul Music - I thought it was a re-hash of several of the other books.

The recurring characters have just got better and better - that's the real joy of the discworld. Ankh-Morpock may be populated by werewolves, vampires, trolls and dwarfs, but every character is also recognisably human. TP is a genius.

ST
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?