Saturday, December 30, 2006

 
This morning Lorraine chose to go to work for a couple of hours. I think that she must have told me some time ago that it was her intention to go to work today, but I was still pissed off. It just seems that recently if it is a choice between spending time with me, or spending time with The Company, then The Company will win every time.

I know that I had expressed an interest in going to the early showing of "Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer", and I don't suppose it was anything Lorraine would have been very much interested in seeing, but I would have been willing to change my plans. I would have seen anything she wanted to see at the cinema. Or we didn't have to go to the cinema. We could have gone shopping, or visiting, or anything else.

I don't suppose it matters. It's not a case that we don't communicate. I tell her exactly how I feel. It just doesn't seem to matter very much what I say and she says nothing at all.

I wonder if she is as bored with this as I am. I just want us back the way we were.

Anyway, "Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer". I did go to see it.



It's great.

"Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer" really is a beautiful looking film. Just wonderful cinematography and costume design. Truly gorgeous. Every frame constructed with the care and attention of a master artist working on a detailed canvas. (Fuck me! That was a good line. I'll use that again.) It looks absolutely stunning. It's also frequently realistic, raw, disgusting and stomach churning. A real sensory overload. It will not be for everybody and the mixed reviews have reflected that. It is also not a film to wait to see on your TV. Go and see it on the biggest screen you can and drink it in.

I had never heard of Ben Whishaw, but he gives an otherworldly performance. So otherworldly, in fact, that I'm unsure if he was actually giving a performance at all. It was all internalised, with hardly any external emotion at all. All in the eyes.

A good one to end the year with. I have no idea if I will be seeing a film tomorrow. Lorraine will be having her hair done in the morning, and I will be at home cleaning the house and waiting to see what she wants to do for New Year's Eve.

I feel like an absolute pussy whipped sap.

Comments:
You're not alone there, mate! Trust me...

Perfume does look like a gorgeous movie but I'm not sure whether to check it out. I know Sherry won't want to see it as she gets scared easily and hates anything to do with murder... I don't like horror/slasher movies but do like thrillers.

What do you reckon?
 
It's all very stylised. It reminds me a lot of the kind of stuff that Ken Russell used to make in the 70's, circa "The Devils". Nudity, violence, grotesque imagery. I would hesitate to call it a horror/slasher film. It's an arthouse movie.

I'd see it again, but I would go and see anything.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?