Thursday, December 14, 2006

 
Drink! Feck! Arse!

I am descended from white trash Irish bogtrotters (actually not offensive, because... er... it's true!) and I have finally wiped out the veneer of sophistication bred into me by living in Brimingham for 43 years. ;-) Last night I saw the fecking Pogues!



I suspect that Shane McGowan likes a drink. (No shit, Sherlock.) He took to the stage with a bottle in one hand, a pint in the other and a cigarette in his mouth. Other than "Fecking shambles" and "It's really great to be here" I can honestly say that I didn't understand a single word he spoke or sang all evening. It hardly mattered. It was a great gig.

The band were as tight as a drum. They had to be, to cope with the digressions of the lead singer. Shane would do a couple of songs and then he would wander off, leaving the microphone to one of the others. Then he'd return, clutching a bottle, and the crowd would roar for the returning hero.

Songs. Lots that I didn't know, but others that I know very well. "Dirty Old Town", "A Pair Of Brown Eyes", "The Irish Rover", "Fiesta" and, of course, "A Fairytale Of New York" (there was a girl who sang that song with the Pogues, and she was good, but she wasn't Kirsty MacColl - nobody could be.)

Some random thoughts.

I have never seen a crowd as large as the one that they managed to squeeze into the standing section at the NIA last night, and they were all pogoing to the fast songs.

I have never seen so many drunk people in one place. (Sadly?... I was not one of them. Being a dangerous boy I had a diet coke and a twix. I would have liked to have had a drink, but I didn't think it would be a good idea with Lorraine being as unwell as she is. She might have needed me. I told you, I am a saint. Anyway, I have decided that I don't need to have a drink to enjoy myself.)

I have never seen so many Republic Of Ireland football shirts in one place. (I support the Republic Of Ireland for my Dad and England for my Mom. I can reconcile that. If England are playing the Republic Of Ireland, I support England. My Mom is here, my Dad isn't. It makes sense to me.)

I have never seen so much crowd surfing in one place. Actually, nor such rough bouncers. Fucking hell! There were some hard bastards pulling people out of the crowd!

I have never sat in a seat at a concert venue as uncomfortable as the one I sat in at the NIA. (Yes, I was in a seat. It's not normal for me to be in a seat at the NIA. Actually it was a perfect view, because most people around me had dropped over the barriers into the standing section. I normally like to go into the standing section because the seats at the NIA are just awful. Lorraine refuses point blank to go to that particular venue because of the awfullness of the seats. I left it very late buying a ticket, and a seat was all they had. I didn't mind too much.)

A guy at work, who has seen the Pogues on their last few tours, decided not to see them this time. His reason was the NIA was a cold and un-atmospheric venue and that it wouldn't suit the Pogues at all. He was wrong. It was really warm and it was a really up concert and the crowd were (excuse the phrase) mad for it.

I watched a blonde, middle aged lady at the edge of the crowd, clutching a pint and dancing. She was lost in the music.

On the way out a drunken teenage girl asked if she could borrow my coat, because it was cold. (I was wearing my big, black goth coat.) I sadly declined. She said that I was a "mean man", but said it a twinkle in her eye. It was an Irish twinkle kind of night.

A mention for the DJ who played a fine selection of 60's garage pop, ska and reggae. The Saw Doctors, who were supporting, also played a storming set. I know very little about the Saw Doctors, but a fair selection of the crowd knew their songs very well and sang along to everything.

Hmm... I've just reread what I've just written. It's not a well written review, but I'm tired. I got home quite late. I'll be out late again tomorrow. It's the work Christmas Party and Lorraine has told me that I must go. I don't intend to stay until the end, but I will show my face, eat their food and drink (some) of their beer.

Lorraine says thank you to everybody who has wished her well. She was vomiting last night when I came home, and was vomiting this morning when I got up, but this evening she feels better, despite the fact that she coughed so much she managed to piss herself. Hey, kids! Illness isn't cool!

I'll probably back on Saturday. I'll catch up with what everybody is up to, then.

Remember. Vote for Ray on "The X-Factor"!

Comments:
I'm glad you enjoyed your night out, and it's good to hear that Lorraine is starting to feel better. Pamper her!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?