Monday, November 06, 2006

 
There doesn't seem to be time to do anything, least of all scribble things down in the blog. It's becoming a real problem. I am constantly tired. Maybe I'm diabetic! I was watching an advert this evening for some pharmacy or other, in which the foxy Phillipa Forrester



was explaining a bit about the symptoms of diabetes and the fact that said pharmacy were doing free diabetes tests. Overweight? Yes. Constantly tired? Check. Frequent visits to the toilet? Er... Not really.

Damn.

Maybe I'm not diabetic. Maybe I am just having too many late nights.

I had a busy weekend, entertainment wise. Being the wild and crazy guy I am, I will do this in reverse. Also, for a change, reviews without waffle.

Last night I went to see the Australian band Jet.



Other than a couple of singles I heard that I really liked, and a once only listen to the "Get Born" album, I know bugger all about Jet. Why go to the gig? They have a brilliant name, the idea of them sounded great and I just fancied going to a gig this weekend. Are those ridiculous reasons? Maybe. Doesn't matter.

I thought Jet were fantastic. Just magnificent. They were rock gods and they were just storming.

There are echoes of a lot of other bands in their sound. A bit of the Beatles, a smidgen of Led Zeppelin, a soupcon of Badfinger, a chunk of Oasis, a hint of Slade, a flavour of Big Star and quite a bit of AC/DC. Lucky I like all those bands, isn't it?

Seriously, Jet were very good. I will be purchasing the "Shine On" album very shortly and there is no better tribute than buying some music that you have only heard in concert.

Before the Jet gig I went to see "Candy" starring Heath Ledger and Abbie Cornish.



Simply put, it's the story of a boy and girl in love with each other and heroin. It is split into three sections - heaven, earth and hell. You can probably guess where the story of that couple go, just from the titles of those sections.

"Candy" has not had the best of reviews in the UK press, but I don't think it is a particularly bad film, just an unoriginal one. Heath Ledger is very good (but when is he not good, even in the lamest film?) and Abbie Cornish is just wonderful (proving that her brilliance in "Somersault" was not just a one off). "Candy" follows a well worn path and doesn't do anything that hasn't been done before. It's funny, but not a funny as "Trainspotting". It's harrowing, but not as harrowing as "Requiem For A Dream". It looks beautiful (is a film about drug abuse supposed to be beautiful?) and the music is great.

Saturday I went to see "Little Children", but I'll go into that tomorrow.

I'm really tired, man.

Comments:
I remember the first time I watched Trainspotting. Funny that funny wasn't the word I used at the time to describe it, but I was 15..
 
Very Aussie day.

Kiss kiss.
 
I'm going to see Jet tomorrow! I'm just that little bit more excited now...
 
fuff - You didn't think "Trainspotting" was funny? How weird. I thought it was hilarious. Maybe it's just me?

Di - Love you! Kiss kiss! Hug hug! Don't tell Oz. (I suppose it was a very Aussie day. I didn't think of that.)

chloe - Enjoy. Greatly.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?