Saturday, October 28, 2006

 
I was here on Thursday night! Sadly, Blogger wasn't. Something to do with scheduled maintenance. I worked out that by the time Blogger was scheduled to come back it would have gone 11:30pm, which was a bit too late for me, so I wrote it off as a bad night. Shame, really. I was up and ready to go. Instead I filled my time composing the second of three late emails to a nice lady who was good enough to send me some mix CD's for my approval, so the time wasn't wasted. I'll tell you about those CD's sometime, but not now.

Last night I was too tired to blog. Lorraine and I were late getting home because we did a detour to B&Q so that she could have a look at their Christmas stuff. (Yes, I know we are still in October. Tell Lorraine. I don't think she knows.) We were in B&Q for hours, but you'll be glad to know that the singing polar bear we purchased last year now has a companion - a saxophone playing snowman. Snowy, as he is known, plays "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town". Snowy has a friend, a penguin, that balances on his head and dances in time to the music.

Call me Captain Sadness.

We also purchased light bulbs, batteries, bird seed, fat balls and peanuts. Lorraine also purchased some kind of wood oil to treat the bookshelves she bought a couple of months ago. No doubt the wood oil will sit in the understairs cupboard, untouched, for the next couple of years.

We got home. We ate food. We watched an old "Doctor Who" on UK Gold and then the pilot episode of "Torchwood" (again) on BBC3, then "Las Vegas" on Sky One and then we went to bed. A productive night.

Which reminds me. I never did write what I thought of "Torchwood" or "The Last Kiss", did I? Easily remedied.

"Torchwood".



I think it has problems, but generally I liked "Torchwood" a great deal.

I thought the introduction episode was pretty good and was better than the second episode. The second episode was OK, but it was derivative. I am sure that the whole idea of an alien on the loose surviving and killing by sucking (oooh, errr!) the sexual energy out of unsuspecting men has been done many times before, I just can't put my finger on exactly where it has been done before. Was it on an episode of "The X-Files"? I don't know.

The next two paragraphs will contain Spoilers if you want to skip it.

My problem is that Russell T. Davies does not always make the best choices regarding his plotting. The whole subplot of a serial killer on the loose in Cardiff, turning out to be an obsessed member of the "Torchwood" team, could have gone on for the length of the series (clues could have been dropped throughout), and would have been a great revelation for the final episode. Also, I thought that "Torchwood" was supposed to be a huge organisation. It certainly was huge at Canary Wharf. I know that the whole Cybermen/Daleks thing happened, and there was massive destruction, but where did all the people go? There are now only a handful of operatives in the Cardiff Office.

Maybe it is in hand and they are hoping for exactly this "things don't add up" reaction from the audience? There certainly seem to be lots of potential threads to be explored. Maybe the resurrection glove will be used on Suzie Costello later in the series, and where exactly did they get that from anyway? What effect is being immortal having on Captain Jack? There are hints that it is not exactly a bed of roses. The hand in the glass case? I am assuming that it is the Doctor's hand? What is the arc story with the Wheevels (sic?) Is Gwen's boyfriend really as wet as he seems?

End of spoilers.

Eve Myles is quite nice, isn't she? Not your typical glamourpuss, but weirdly hot. In that regard, you could say she is like Billie Piper. I love John Barrowman. (Sorry, John. Not in that way. It will have to be a platonic love. Like a mate.) Lorraine and I are big fans. He was great in "Doctor Who" (and apparently will be returning for the last four episodes of the next series) and was great onstage in "A Few Good Men" with Rob Lowe, that we saw last year. He can sing as well. He was Elaine Paige's special guest at her show last year. Lorraine reckons that she could turn him.

Nah.

I'll write about "The Last Kiss" later. I have to prepare for "The X-Factor" .

Comments:
I enjoyed Torchwood too, but was wondering too about why it was smallscale... although they did mention that it was Torchwood #3 (?), and that there were other Torchwoods around... which could explain it.
 
Although I thought that it was a couple of hours of decent entertainment (and to be honest, I enjoyed it more than most of the last series of Doctor Who), I thought that Torchwood was a bit silly. I don't like some of the characters, I thought the plotting was a bit daft and I thought it was totally unbelievable. In a programme like this, I suppose those aren't insurmountable issues, and I'll probably watch the next episode (if I remember when it's on), but it didn't strike me as *all that*.

I totally agree with you about that girl though. She IS a hottie. There's just something about her...

mmmm

ST
 
Yep, she'd, er... get a portion.

I will watch the next few episodes of Torchwood but I can't say I'm that excited about it so far. Better than Robin Hood though, eh?
 
Oh yeah, and blogger has been a pile of shite lately.
 
Hmm. Torchwood is okay. I mean, I like it so far, but I'm not hugely taken by it yet. It's definitely lacking something, but I can't quite put my finger on what. It feels a bit like it's trying too hard, somehow. Perhaps they'll get over that in the next few episodes.

But Gwen annoys me slightly. Indeed, I don't fancy women, but even if I did, I doubt I'd find her attractive. She'd just get on my nerves too much. Plus, how exactly did she manage to just drop her job as a PC in a matter of moments? Not very believable, and somewhat baffling to those attempting to follow the plot, I thought.
 
Can't believe it. I missed the second episode on the cable whatsit (d'oh!) but liked the third one. Better than the first.

Skywolf, Torchwood got the filth to clear out from a murder scene in the first ep and leave 'em to it. I think they can arrange a quick departure.

She's not a goddess but you would and I think it's that not-a-goddess thing that's part of her charm.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?