Wednesday, October 11, 2006

 
I have started this half a dozen times and deleted it half a dozen times.

OK. Clear and simple words.

Sometimes I drink too much. People have started to notice and it has gotten around work. There was a little bit of light hearted mocking going on today.

Danielle Frank (nice girl, you would like her) asked me if I enjoyed The Ordinary Boys gig. I said that it was OK. (OK is such as descriptive word isn't it? Not good. Not bad. Just OK. I use it a lot.) She said that she was surprised I remembered much about it, as Boz Rude had told her that I was totally caned all night.

Er... Yes, I suppose that I was. It happens every time I go to a gig. It has got to stop.

This situation has built very gradually. There was a time when I drank no alcohol at all. This was prior to my mid 20's. In my mid 20's I discovered alcopops. During the years of staying in and wishing I had a social life, I would drink a couple of alcopops every Saturday night. These got me bladdered. I never drank alcohol in the week. In the main, I still don't.

I graduated from alcopops straight to spirits, then wine, then lager. (Wrong way around?) A turning point was the first Company Christmas party I attended. That party had a free bar. It was a challenge. I drank and drank and drank. Mr. Angry came out. I told a quite unpopular guy in the office that "Everybody think's you're a cunt!" (it was the truth), I danced like a wanker, I groped Lorraine, I chatted up the ladies who had the largest breasts. It was not my finest moment.

It is a pattern that has repeated itself a couple of times.

On Sunday night I had had 3 pints before Boz Rude and Freddie Podge arrived. I had a few more after they had arrived. Boz is a big drinker and I tried to match him. I am 5 foot 5 inches tall. Boz is considerably taller. Well over 6 foot. Well.. It was going to end it tears, wasn't it?

When I got home I had my hangover cure. Bananas, water and cornflakes. Monday morning I still felt dreadful and had the shakes. I dosed myself up with food and painkillers and eventually I was OK.

I don't think for one minute that I have a serious alcohol problem. In the main I do not drink in the week at all. The problem is that when I do drink, I drink to excess. I suppose it is binging. It is ridiculous and unnecessary and it stops today, because it is hurting in a way that it has never hurt before.

I wanted to write this yesterday, but the gig and the film review had to come first. I have my priorities right.

Nothing but a wanker.

Comments:
Don't worry. At least you don't fight and have noticed it. Stress and other stuff can bring out compulsive behaviour in anyone.
Fick Fuff.
 
After many weeks and months of going out to drink quite often, quite a few years ago, I reigned it in and decided to stop. It was beginning to get ridiculous, and quite bad for my health (without the doctors or the government telling me)

So, good on you for recognising it.
 
I wish some of my relatives realized they drink too much. I am wondering when the one is going to sober up and realize I've had his dog for 3 weeks now.
 
Yay for you for recognising it and dealing with it. When I do get bladdered I can be a real gob-shite too, I hate the person I am when I'm drunk.

I drink too much though but the other way. I drink every day (almost without exception) but I very rarely get drunk. Some of that is tolerance but some of it is control, I do tend to swap to water or somthing if I feel myself actually being drunk.

Luckily my drinking rate slows as I get more drunk which helps.
 
Good job recognizing it and being willing to do something about it. You're way ahead of the crowd!
 
if you know you haven't got a problem, then getting hammered once in a while isn't a stoning offence, last time I looked anyway.

I know other people's perception of you - especially colleagues at work - can become a millstone around your neck.... but if you're okay with it then FUCK THEM.

Y'know?

fuck them.

ST
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?