Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 
When I read this I thought it was a joke. I mean, it is a joke isn't it? Or am I just overestimating the intelligence of some people?

I imagine the edict went something like, "Jihad against Stingrays! That's what I say. Let's wop those muthas! They take out one of ours, we take out ten of theirs!"

Morons. Scum.

In the mornings I sometimes see a girl at the bus stop. She is a redhead, not more than 18 years old. A large girl. Not fat exactly, but if you were an advertising executive she probably wouldn't be your first choice to front the latest weight watchers campaign. All of the times I have seen this girl (I'll call her Red) she has always dressed conservatively, even dowdily or plainly. I have never spoken to this girl. Not even once. Red would sit still and quietly and wait for the bus.

Something changed today.

Red had done something to her hair. She had put on eye makeup and was wearing lipstick. She had on a low cut top. The top showed the freckles on her tits, arms and back. She had on trousers. You could see a hint of lace pants just above the waist. The pants were red.

Frankly, she looked fantastic and as sexy as hell.

But... Something was wrong. She looked nervous. She kept moving on the seat and looking around, like she was scared. She was squirming. I am struggling for the words here, but you know how it is when you are embarrassed and you smile weakly at everybody who approaches you, because that is the person who might be about to say something horrible to you? That is exactly how Red looked.

I think she had made a decision to be beautiful and she was deeply regretting it.

I wanted to tell her, "Hey! You are the finest woman I have seen today. If I wasn't with someone, I would ask you out tomorrow and be proud to show you off." I didn't. I said nothing, because that would have been one step away from being a loony.

I don't know why I told that story. Maybe it is because Lorraine has appalling self esteem, at the moment, and when I tell her that she is beautiful and sexy she thinks that I am taking the piss. I'm not. She is beautiful and sexy.

Comments:
How sweet.
 
It's a shame, innit, that you couldn't tell her?
 
Indeed.

It's also a shame that 9 out of 10 perfectly sincere complements made by men to women are dismissed as either:
a) a piss take
b) the droolings of a pervert

That is largely why I keep my gob shut when I see someone similarly uncomfortable with looking great. It's just rarely worth the aggro.
 
you say you're struggling for words, but that was pretty articulate if you ask me. I have to say though, that if I was that woman and you had made some remark, I think in my paranoia, I may well have interpreted that as confirming my worst fears about the way I look. We're not very good at taking compliments. Perhaps we don't hear them often enough.

Hen's right. It's a shame, innit?

ST
 
Yes. It is a shame that people have trouble accepting compliments. Compliments are important. It's nice to show your appreciation of others, even people you don't know. But I guess for every few decent complimenters out there, there'll be the odd weirdo mixed in. So I suppose it's hard to tell.

That's just sick about those poor stingrays. I can't believe some people.
 
I'm reminded of an anecdote about the late Leo Buscaglia, who would apparently walk up to strangers and hug them. When asked who he was he'd say something like "We don't know each other, but wouldn't it be great if we did?"

If we all tried to be a little like that I think the world would be a much better place. Strangers are just friends waiting to mmet.

Or is that too twee?
 
Does 'taking the piss' mean offering a pity compliment?
I know exactly how that girl felt, and I am very curious if she looks sexy or dowdy the next time you see her. I have to assume that she too was on her way to work, and that people there took notice of the change. Since they know her (assuming this is so) I'm sure some men and women complimented her (or I'd like to think it). So it will be very interesting to see what happens next.

If you weren't 'with someone' I still don't know if you should be asking out girls this young. Don't want that 'dirty old man' label...

Some people I know are very good at offering compliments. I have a bad habit of rolling my eyes when someone gives me one (it's the 'lorraine' in me I guess). My husband used to say to me 'take a compliment will you?'
That was when he used to give them... maybe he stopped because I don't seem to believe him anyway.
 
I think it's a crying bloody shame that we can't wander around being damn nice to people becuase there is a minority of imbeciles and freaks who give the rest of us a bad name.

perhaps we should fight back?

(actually, maybe not. I'm not sure I could deal with the insults/black eyes either)
 
That generated a few comments. That's quite interesting.

Seems to me that we are all busy building walls around ourselves, but that we crave the chance to make a connection with other people.

That's almost philosphical. If I do that again, you have permission to reprimand me.

Pepsiqueen - A couple of things.

"Taking the piss" means to make fun of something or someone.

I saw Red this morning and she still looked nice. Good, and she wasn't fidgeting either. Maybe I'll make some small talk next week, and not to get off with her, either.

Sadly I am probably genetically disposed to be a "dirty old man" one day.

My Grandad married my Grandmother when he was 40 years old. She was 16 at the time. He spent the next 3 decades impregnating her. (They had 10 children. My Dad's eldest Brother was, I think, 24 years older than him.)

My Aunt married a man 16 years older than herself. (She was 37 at the time.)

My Mom had a Boyfriend who was 15 years younger than herself. (She was 45 at the time.)

My Brother went out with a woman 15 years older than himself. (He is 36.)

I'm a Pynchon. We have no idea of age.
 
often the most beautiful women don't know that they are.

the most brilliant relationship I ever had was with a redhead - I should've fought for her harder than I did to be frank.
 
Age is totally irrelevant. It's all about compatibility and your connection with someone.



My WV word is: didntc.

Didn't see what?
 
Oops sorry about the DOM comment. It's just that in my own opinion, age matters somewhat. Just as far as maturity and wanting the same things. Thought I find younger men very attractive for various reasons, I could hardly date one now because I don't want to live like a 20 year old right now.
I guess maybe the Pynchons are special in some way that they all seem capable of robbing the cradle (not everyone can do that you know)

- Also I think the number of comments speaks to the insecurities we all feel (and can relate to) and also the walls we've built as you have said.
*Glad Red is keeping up with it!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?