Sunday, August 20, 2006

 
Waddawewant! Movies.

Whendowewanem? Now.

Well... If you insist.

Last week I went to see "Lady In The Water".



There seems to be a consensus of opinion between film critics that M. Night Shyamalan peaked with "The Sixth Sense" and that his work has been in a slow decline since. I don't agree with that. I thought that "Unbreakable" was a work of genius, with a killer plot twist equal to that of "The Sixth Sense". I thought that "Signs" had some plotting problems, but that it was brilliantly atmospheric, beautifully put together, and had some wonderful performances at the core of it. I thought that "The Village" at it's heart was just a blown up Twilight Zone story (not that there is anything wrong with that, right?), and as with "Signs", was beautifully put together and sincerely acted by everybody, especially Bryce Dallas Howard. So, "Lady In The Water"...

I loved it. I thought it was just wonderful. A beautiful fantasy, which does requires a bit of suspension of disbelief to get the most out of it. Perhaps the Paul Giamatti character did accept what was going on a tad quickly, but that is just picking hairs, and the main thrust of the plot had to be kickstarted. Also, "Lady In The Water" is a bit scary for it's certificate. PG? Bollocks, it should have been a 15.

Sadly, some people will not get it. (The Disney studio, for one.) If you are a cynic or a realist, go and see something else. You won't like "Lady In The Water". Some critics over here have absolutely loathed it. It is a film that knows it is a film and takes great delight in letting the audience know that it knows. (Er... Yes. I think that's right.) It does the thing that they probably teach young Director's on day 1 of the "How To Direct A Motion Picture" course not to do, and that is to break the fourth wall (but there are a lot of films that do). Also, some critics have taken exception to M. Night Shyamalan casting himself as a writer whose work will eventually change the world. They have said that this demonstrates an ego out of control and a man in love with his own words and himself. They are wrong. I think that this demonstrates a man with a sense of humour. Have they ever seen any of the early home movies he includes on the DVD extras for his films? Terrible. The lot of them. No, this is a man with a sense of humour.

I would recommend "Lady In The Water". For good or bad it is a film with a singular vision and we need more of those films, not less.

Yesterday I saw "The Notorious Bettie Page".



Now, this was interesting film because it was not the romp through pre permissive America that I expected from the trailer, as it takes in a fair chunk of Bettie Page's unhappy early life of (hinted) child abuse, (obvious) spousal abuse and (blatantly obvious) sexual abuse. The fun part of the film is all in it's middle section when Bettie starts her modeling career in earnest, and the daft and funny recreations of photo sessions and the making of light bondage movies. Gretchen Moll plays Bettie as a sweet and naive church fearing Southern girl, completely unaware of the effect that her photos and films were having on men of a certain disposition. I don't know if I believe that. Surely she wasn't as innocent as the film makes out? How could she be?

Except for the Miami interludes, and the end credits, the film is completely in black and white. It looks gorgeous. Some people are already talking up Gretchen Moll's performance as possibly Oscar worthy, but I wouldn't know anything about that, but I will say that she throws herself into the part and looks astonishingly like the real lady.

"The Notorious Bettie Page" is an 18 certificate over here. I have no idea why. Yes, there is nudity and fetishwear and a bit of simulated bondage, but so what? It all seemed so innocent and inoffensive. There was an erect cock in "Kinsey" and that was only a 15.

Today I saw "A Scanner Darkly".



I'll pass on any detailed comment about this film, because I don't think I can do it justice. There was a very bad vibe in the cinema. Lots and lots of Cinema Arseholes. My heart sank when a gaggle of teenage Asian kids sat on my row. One girl said, "Wass this about then?" and her friend said, "Dunno, but it's Kee Anne Oooo, init?" Fuck me. At that moment if I could have shot myself, or them, I would have done.

Various people were told to be quiet. Various people didn't keep quiet. Various people were told to be quiet again. On and on it went. I nearly left the cinema. I didn't. I should have done. Why, O why do these people bother to go to the cinema?

Bad experience. Fuck it. I imagine that "A Scanner Darkly" will be on Film Four in 6 months time, anyway.

(If it helps at all, "A Scanner Darkly" looks amazing and the script seems to be packed with interesting philosophical ideas and musings. It looks like a great stoner movie - is there such a creature these days? - and I probably would have really liked it.)

Comments:
Ne'er mind the films, how's Moon?
Btw, the interruptions in the cinema are one reason I cannot sit through a film there.
 
Man, it's a real shame those arseholes screwed up Scanner Darkly for you.

I saw it yesterday and there are some really good ideas in it, the dialogue is great and all the actors turn in great performances.

It's a really unique and interesting movie. Definitely worth putting a bit of time into.

PS. My vote is for movies, not cats :-)
 
I have enjoyed most of M Night Shyamalans films, The exception being 'Unbreakable' or Unbearable as I later dubbed it.
I agree that it has a killer plot twist but the three hour lead up to it is almost like running a marathon, physically bloody exhausting.
I look forward to Lady in the water though.

Is Kinsey worth seeing?
 
The cinema audience was very similar when I went to watch The Lady In the Water. However after half an hour the three or four groups/ couples left as they probably thought it was boring/ not The Sixth Sense.

It meant that the adults that were left could get on with enjoying a bloody excellent film.
 
I dare to say that we have the opposite taste (??) in films ;)
 
fuff - Moon is OK. I think that the time in which we could have expected him to be 100% is gone now, but he is OK. We are taking him back to the Vet's next week for another checkup.

stef - Ce sera sera. I read your review, and I will definitely see "A Scanner Darkly" again, but probably when it gets on cable.

ozbhoy - We saw "Unbreakable" with Lorraine's cousin and her much older husband. Hubbie slept deeply throughout the whole film, which is fair enough if it bored him. I liked the slow burn, myself, and watching "Unbreakable" again on DVD reveals lots of stuff I missed first time around.

"Kinsey" is well worth seeing. I laughed all of the way through it, because it is kind of outraegeous. But there are also some very thoughfull and chilling parts to "Kinsey". When you do see it (and you must) check out William Sadler's little cameo playing an... aberration. No other word for it, really. An aberration. His performance stayed in my head for days afterwards, and it is such a small part of the film.

darth phil - Where have you been? Yes, my screening had people walking out as well. Good. I don't want them in my cinema. Back to "X-Men 3" with 'em!
 
I liked Unbreakable. I've only seen it once and have no desire to see it again, but...

As for cinema arseholes, I've been using the premier screens when seeing anything tha might fill up with CA's. OK it's £10 rather than £5 but you get a drink and popcorn thrown in and no-one under the age of 18 is allowed in :-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?