Tuesday, August 15, 2006

 
Quick post before I go off to work. I was not able to get on here last night because Lorraine was using the modem and I didn't want to disturb her.

Moon The Cat is still here. He's OK, or rather, he is back to normal.

Lorraine took Moon to the Vet yesterday morning. She explained the situation. The Vet took Moon in for observation and Lorraine went home to wait. She can work from home if necessary, so it made no difference to The Company. Late afternoon I got a phone call from Lorraine asking if I would meet her at the Vet's after six. I went expecting the worst (or is that the best?) By the time I arrived it was all over and Lorraine was waiting outside with Moon and she looked happy.

"He's OK!", she said.

Now... I'm not sure how to describe my reaction at the time. I think that beside-myself-with-frustration-and-anger might just about cover it. I ranted and I raved. Was she in the house at the weekend? Did she see what went on? Has she got any fucking idea how ill that cat was? Is Stevie Wonder working as a Vet now, and did he examine Moon?

Lorraine ignored me.

"He's OK", she said.

And Moon does seem OK. He is wobbly, but mobile. Sadly no change there, but he is eating, he is vocalising and he had a stinky shit in his box for a change, which was nice. (The fact that he had a shit in his box was nice, not the stinky shit.) He tried to catch a housefly, failed and then scowled. Normal.

Lorraine said that once she had been adamant to the Vet that we had not given Moon an overdose of insulin, and that Moon was eating the right kind of food, the Vet explained that during the past couple of weeks a number of their diabetic animals have been having problems with the heat. They are not eating enough, their blood sugar drops and they can experience the symptoms that Moon had over the weekend. Hmm... OK, except it hasn't been particularly warm in Birmingham over the past couple of days and that Moon's collapse was total. Perhaps it is a cumulative thing?

Lorraine said that she asked a crucial question. How long before we have to make a decision on putting him to sleep? The Vet said that any decision like that was "way off". Good, yes? Yes, it is. I love that rotten cat and I want him with us as long as possible.

On Friday Moon needs to go back to the Vet. I will be taking him this time and I will be asking some blunt questions. If I am not happy I will not be taking the decision on having him put to sleep there and then because, as has been said, Lorraine needs to be part of that decision and, anyway, I only adopted Moon. He is Lorraine's baby.

Thank you, everybody, who commented. It is appreciated.

Comments:
That cat has some staying power. Good luck with him.
 
Great news!!

Good luck on Friday
 
Glad to hear he's improved. :)
 
Thanks all. I actually feel more optimistic about Moon than I have for ages. Friday is going to be fine. I feel it in my water.
 
Wonderful news for all you (especially Moon)!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?