Saturday, July 08, 2006

 
We didn't buy a fridge/freezer. Lorraine didn't like any of the ones we saw. Funnily enough, I was quite taken by a huge, black, fuck off monolith of a fridge/freezer that we saw in Apollo in Sutton Coldfield. If Lorraine had given me the nod, I would have happily parted with the money to get that thing into my kitchen.

I didn't go to see "Pretty Persuasion". We spent so much time fridge freezer searching and shopping that I ran out of time. I will see it tomorrow.

I didn't pull up any weeds in my garden, but I did cut back some of my foxy neighbour Keren's triffid like plant that was hanging over the fence at the front into our garden. I doubt that she will notice.

I did watch "Doctor Who". I liked it a lot, but the whole Dalek/Cybermen war scenario was really low key and not as massive as it could have been. Nice little bit of the Doctor in the tardis at the end and the opening bit of the Christmas story looks interesting. (Hasn't David Tennant been terrific in this series? He has totally banished any memories of Christopher Ecclestone, who frankly in the offscreen segments looked as though he was taking it all terribly seriously. If, as now seems the case, Ecclestone was only signed for one series as a name actor to get it up and running again, I could think of many actors who might have done it better.)

Nothing else, except I found this quiz at I Have Ordinary Addictions. I thought it was interesting.

Pick 10 bands you really like. Do it now before reading on. Mine are

  1. The Beatles.
  2. The Rolling Stones.
  3. The Who.
  4. R.E.M.
  5. The Monkees.
  6. The Stone Roses.
  7. The Darling Buds.
  8. Cosmic Rough Riders.
  9. The Sex Pistols.
  10. Big Star

and then answer the questions.

  1. What was the first song you ever heard by 6? Probably it was "She Bangs The Drums".
  2. What is your favourite album of 8? Easy. "Enjoy The Melodic Sunshine".
  3. What is your favourite lyric of 5? Very difficult, but how about "She owns and operates her own sunshine factory"?
  4. How many times have you seen 4 live? 4 times. Leicester De Monfort Hall, Birmingham NEC, Milton Keynes Bowl and Earls Court.
  5. What is your favourite song by 7? That's a hard one. It changes. Today it is "A Little Piece Of Heaven" from "Crawdaddy".
  6. Is there a song of 3 that makes you sad? I suppose the song "So Sad About Us" from "A Quick One, While He's Away". It definitely strikes a chord sometimes.
  7. What is your favourite lyric of 9? "We're so pretty, Oh so pretty... Vaaaacunt!"
  8. What is your favourite song by 1? Ah... That would be "Paperback Writer".
  9. How did you get into 8? Heard them on the Bob Harris show on BBC Radio 2.
  10. What is your favourite song by 4? Again, it changes. Today, "Crush With Eyeliner".
  11. How many times have you seen 1 live? Sadly, never except in archive footage, but I have seen Macca twice (Birmingham NEC and Sheffield Arena) and the Bootleg Beatles 5 times (Birmingham Symphony Hall twice and the Birmingham NIA 3 times).
  12. What is a good memory concerning 2? Buying the Stones compilation "Rolled Gold", lying on my bed and listening to it on headphones for the first time. Knocked me out.
  13. Is there a song by 2 that makes you sad? I don't know. For some reason "Ruby Tuesday" reminds me of my Dad. I don't know why.
  14. What is your favourite song of 6? Today, "Standing Here". It has a two minute coda which is dreamy and pyschedeclic and beautiful and sums up my feelings about Lorraine perfectly.
  15. How did you become a fan of 10? I honesty cannot remember. I knew that the song "September Gurls", recorded by the Bangles, had originally been recorded by Big Star and I also knew that R.E.M. had said that they were massively influenced by Big Star. The first two albums had been released on a single CD, and it was a budget release, so I bought it. They are really good albums. Big Star should have been huge. I spit on the taste of the general public.

I have a review to write. Later.


Comments:
The Monkees? Really? Hmmm...

Well, I know one of their mom's (Monkees) created "white out", the simple ink blanking thing. (true story...check it out).

But...Beatles is a great first choice, you.

Peace,

--Dan L.
 
Hmmm agree with you on the Dr Who thing ... definately toned down the whole war thing ... maybe a longer series is needed ! Definately noticing a general trend of better writing in the RTD episodes though ...
 
Good choice of bands! I haven't seen Dr Who yet, but I will check it out when I get the chance.
 
Awesome stuff; this is just what I needed to kill three hours at work (don't even ask why I've got three hours off and nowhere to go, it's too banal to be true. Check it out when I've finished, won't you? I can already see a ridiculous answer to one of the questions...
 
Ruby Tuesday makes me sad too. It was one of the memorable songs from the concert last year. I wrote up my list too.
 
dan I. - Yup. The Monkees. The first two albums were soundtracks to the TV series (and were good), but once they got a bit of artistic control they were brilliant. "Headquarters" and "Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces and Jones" were great pop albums.

It was Mike Nesmith's mother who invented correcting fluid (we call it Tippex over here). Apparently when she died she was worth seventy million pounds, leaving it all to Mike.

He goes on holiday a lot.

dr elly - Thanks for that. I just think that they could have made more of it. I don't know if a longer series is the answer though. I've a feeling it might kill the series.

metalchick - Thanks for that. Have you ever seen "Doctor Who"? No? To your TV woman!

chloe - Going over to your blog shortly

katyola - And you too, Katy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?