Monday, July 31, 2006

 
I am astoundingly tired. It's this working for a living. Not a good idea. I should stop it as soon as possible.

On Saturday I saw "Renaissance".



"Renaissance" is a French produced animated film, shot in black and white. (I will not call it a cartoon. There are no comedy penguins in this film.) For the English language market it has been dubbed from the original French by very impressive British voice talent. (Daniel Craig, Ian Holm, Jonathan Pryce, etc.) Basically "Renaissance" is a futuristic film noir. A maverick cop (aren't they all?) searches for a missing girl, gets involved with the missing girl's sister and stumbles into a conspiracy involving a sinister corporation. There is an uncompromising Mickey Spillane style ending. How film noir is that?

"Renaissance" is an absolutely astonishingly beautiful looking film, which makes up for some shortcomings in the plot. Run like the wind to see this film, my friends. I thought it was great.

On Sunday I went to see "Stay Alive".



It is shit. Terrible. 85 minutes of my life that I will never get back. My own fault. I read the reviews. I ignored the reviews. I should be spanked severely. (Oooh, err!) I nearly stood up at the end and booed.

Terrible acting, incoherent plotting, etc. The special effects were good, but... let's repeat the mantra again... special effects alone do not a good movie make. "Stay Alive" had the germ of a good idea, but it was wasted.

I have no idea what I am writing anymore. I will add links, correct spelling, etc. tomorrow.

Good night.

Comments:
OOh, Rennaisance looks good! Unfortunately it's not playing in Bristol. Damn you!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?