Saturday, June 17, 2006

 
My stomach is feeling a bit dicky. It is my own fault. Last night I cooked M&S jalapeno burgers. We ate them even though they looked a little bit raw in the middle. (I hadn't actually read the cooking instructions, but Lorraine doesn't know that.) Lorraine is OK, but I have been having problems on and off all day. Still, gives me another reason to clean the toilet I suppose.

Where was I? Oh, yes. Keep up. It's Thursday morning. (Bear with me. Not much more to write.)

I cooked sausages, bacon and scrambled eggs for breakfast. I think that Hen and Oz really enjoyed that. I know that I did. We went into town. Someone (not me!) suggested that we have a look to see what was on the cinema. While Oz purchased a chocolate milkshakey thing from Coffee Republic, we checked the cinema times at the Cineworld on Broad Street. We chose "The Omen" at 11am.

There was time, so we wandered down to Nostalgia and Comics. Hen purchased a Jack Skellington T-shirt and I bought Oz the "Watchmen" graphic novel. Spreading culture and all that. Then, after checking out the height of the Radission hotel by standing at the very bottom and looking up (Oz and Hen were not impressed - Australia has taller buildings), we walked up to Broad Street and got the bus to the cinema.

We saw "The Omen" starring the Goddess Julia Stiles.



"The Omen" has had pretty bad reviews. I thought it was OK and a perfectly adequate horror film. Not great, but I have seen worse films this year. There are some good jump out of seat moments. I would say though that as far as remakes go making the film was pretty pointless as it seems to follow the plot, and structure of the scenes of the original film (and it has been years since I saw the original "The Omen", so correct me if I am wrong), almost exactly. But, I don't agree that the leads were miscast and it was also nice to see the cream of British character actors (Michael Gambon, Pete Posthewaite and David Thewlis) getting the opportunity to pay their mortgages this year.

After the film we went home. I cooked the remaining sausages, bacon and eggs and we had them as sandwiches. Afterwards we watched the remaining "Extras" episodes and Hen finished packing while Oz and I watched the first half of England versus Trinidad and Tobago. Lorraine phoned and had a goodbye chat with Oz and Hen and recommended that they visit Betty's Tea Rooms in York. Apparently it is a fine establishment. I saw Oz and Hen to their jeep. (Was it a jeep? No idea, but it was a big bastard!) I shook Oz's hand. I got a hug from Hen. They got into their car. The car started up. There was waving. They were gone.

... And immediately I felt deflated. Back to being a recluse, I suppose. They were wonderful people. Really nice people. I hope that somehow, somewhere outside of the Internet we can meet up again. I think that I would like that very much.

Friday morning I went to see "Hard Candy". It was very good, but I will write about that tomorrow. The toilet calls.

Comments:
my favourite thing to do in York (and I lived there for a couple of years) was to go into the minster and just take it all in. I love that building. There is a bylaw in York that means that all buildings have to be below a certain height, so you can see the Minster for miles and miles around. It's also very impressive inside - huge. One time when I was there, they took all of the chairs out of the nave and just left it as it would have been 500 years ago. The feeling of space is amazing. I love the choir screen the best, but it has so many treasures.

Oh get me.

What am I - the tourist board for York?

I'm glad you had fun. They sound like nice people.

ST
 
Dodgy jalapeno burgers? Sounds messy, hope your guts are better now.
 
We watched "the Omen" the other day and thought it was - to say the least - tepid. Looked like most of the supporting cast were already getting their mortgages paid by J K Rowling/Warner Bros, though.
 
My favourite horror movie is the one that (arguably) started it all: Black Christmas. Ever seen it?
 
swisstoni - Lorraine had a very happy couple of days in York with her Mom and her Sister. It was one of the last trips they did. She keeps saying that we should visit sometime.

And yes, they were lovely people.

stef - All OK now. I think.

lithaborn - Tepid? Better than tepid. Not a great film, but not as bad as the critics are saying.

tiggerzar - "Black Christmas". Year 1974. Director Bob Clark. Stars Olivia Hussey and Keir Dullea.

I know nothing of this film.

(Really, I have never seen it, but I dragged the above out of my memory. I have heard good things about it, though.)
 
Christ, your memory is better than mine, I can't usually remember the plot of movies I saw a few weeks ago let alone the director and year of release of movies I've never seen.

I seriously think I'm going a bit senile. Maybe those old wives tales are true, my eyesight is terrible too!
 
Quick moment. Hello! Miss you. No, really, not jsut saying that. Thank you. Lovely time was had by all. Went to see HArd Cnady last night. Brilliant!

In Glasgow. Am going to blog later.

Love.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?