Monday, June 12, 2006

 
I am knackered. Other than a quick trip out to pick up a couple of things, I have been cleaning, tidying up and dusting all day. If I ever win the lottery I will hire a cleaner. No, I will hire two cleaners. (Remember those two guys on Eurotrash who used to clean houses in their underwear? I will hire female versions of them.)

The only room I have not touched is the front bedroom. Lorraine said that she would do that one as she knows what she wants to do. Lorraine is in there as I write. Occasionally I hear the odd curse. I am letting her get on with it. The best thing for a quiet life.

Yesterday I went to see "36 Quai des Orfèvres" starring Daniel Auteuil and Gerard Depardieu.



It is part hard boiled thriller (think, in tone, a gallic "Heat") and part soapy melodrama. I liked it a lot. It is really good. Also it reminds, if we needed reminding, that there is more to Gerard Depardieu than playing a comedy Frenchman in American movies. It's just scandalous the way his American career panned out. Of course Daniel Auteuil is also brilliant. He seems to have been great in every great French film that I have seen in the last couple of years.

I would expect "36 Quai des Orfèvres" to be remade in an (inferior) English language version and hitting a multiplex near you sometime within the next couple of years. Don't wait for that. Go and see it now. With subtitles. You can read and watch! Enjoy.

Comments:
Sounds like a good little movie.

You're totally right about the way the French are portrayed in American movies. They must have paid very well because pretty much ever genuine French actor who's gone to Hollywood has ended up looking like a twat. I've watched quite a lot of French movies and seen the same actors in French movies and they are so better than that!
 
I used to get quite few subtitled films, but find that I am too lazy nowadays. I usually end up opting for some crap easy watching kinda US movie where I don't have to engage my brain. This must be rectified.
 
Hey,
Happy Belated Birthday!!!
I just did some catching up on your blog. Sorry I missed it.
My close friend (used to be close, still are at heart) share's your bday. I wanted so badly to call and wish him well. But I was too afraid that my former friend Sherry (who met him through me and is now married to him) would pick up. She hates me, she is the most insecure person on the planet. I have known John since I was 16, if we were gonna do it, we'd have done it by now!!
So I chickened out and didn't call him, but I sent a belated card with a pretty drawing of a snail bearing gifts. I told him I was thinking of him on his bday. The witch actually let him open the card bc a few days later he called when he knew I wasn't home to thank me.
So you are a gemini? Interesting...
 
When you win the lottery will you hire a cleaner for me too?

I think Gerard Depardieu is awesome. Funny accent but a good actor.
 
Hey, Pepsiqueen, it wasn't my birthday. Over 6 days it was my Aunt's, Sister 1's and Sister 2's birthday, and we had a joint party.

I don't know whether to be offended at being called a Gemini or not. I am a Virgo.

Daisy - If I win the lottery I will send a partially naked man over to clean your house, forthwith.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?