Saturday, May 13, 2006

 
Today I went to see "Brick".



Yes, it's all been done before in a million Philip Marlowe/Sam Spade/Mike Hammer thrillers, but the central conceit of setting it in the world of teenagers, high school and the cliques thereof are what makes "Brick" a work of genius. The obsessed anti-hero, a missing girl in trouble, femme fatales, a mysterious crime boss and his unhinged heavy. Yup. All present and correct. Fucking brilliant. One of the best films of the year. I will buy "Brick" the second that it comes out on sell through.

My Mom is not as daft as she looks. I went to see her today. Her first words to me were, "Lorraine doesn't come around with you much anymore. Is everything OK?" I said that it was and she said, "You don't look very happy, Son." We talked about my attendance at a joint birthday meal for my Aunt, Sister 1 and Sister 2 planned for June and she asked me if Lorraine would be attending. "I don't know" said I.

As I said, not as daft as she looks. Nice visit, though. Sister 1 and my Niece and my Brother were there. We took the piss out of each other for a couple of hours. Always a popular way for the Pynchon's to show affection to each other.

Sometimes I wish I could disappear.

Comments:
Do you dream about watching films too?
 
Disappearing is hard. I tried it once. Or twice. The problem is, you have to come back or you can't tell if you really have disappeared, or just done nothing for a bit...

But then, if you disappeared, how would we know what films to watch? ;-)
 
When you say you tried to disappear do you mean like Cartman in that episode of South Park where they buy ninja weapons? He's convinced he has the power of invisibility and strips all his clothes off (so they don't give his position away) and then walks across a stage in front of the whole town. Superb!

Brick looks like a top film. Completely passed me by but it's on at our local 'art-house' cinema so I might go and check it out. There's feck all on at the multiplex.
 
fuff - Yes, I have dreamt about watching films, once or twice. The best one was the opening of "Watchmen". Gene Hackman was the Comedian, Michael Biehn was Rorschach and Robert Redford was Adrian Veidt. The bit I saw looked good.

maboeln - Thanks for that, but I have no illusions that my opinion of films I have seen affects anybody elses opinion on what to see, whatsoever.

stef - "Brick" is excellent. You must see it. Our multiplex is full of things I have not seen.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?