Sunday, May 28, 2006

 
Today I have been to see "The King".



Gael Garcia Bernal plays a young man called Elvis, just discharged from the navy, who goes in search of the father he has never known. He finds him and discovers that his father is now a committed Christian and a church pastor. He approaches his father and then....

No, No, No! No more about "The King" here, because I will only spoil it. Go and see it yourself. It is an excellent movie. Atmospheric, ambiguous and eerie. William Hurt (who can annoy me a lot, but not today), Paul Dano and Pell James are all excellent, but Gael Garcia Bernal is simply astonishing in his portrayal of blank faced amorality and evil. Empire Magazine is right. Gael Garcia Bernal could easily play Patricia Highsmith's Mr. Ripley.

Highly recommended.

After the film I went to see my Mom. She is fit and fine, except that she is now looking at the possibility of buying a stairlift as she is finding it increasingly difficult to get up and down the stairs.

My Brother was at my Mom's. He asked me if he could tag along to the cinema tomorrow to see "X-Men: The Final Stand" with myself, Lorraine and my Nephew. I said OK, no problem. When I got home I told Lorraine that we were going to have company at the cinema. Lorraine was less than pleased. She does not like my Brother. Words were exchanged (in between the silences). Lorraine has now decided that tomorrow will be a Pynchon only event. Fine by me. I am getting increasingly sick of her irrational dislike of my family. They have done nothing to her. Boring. Change the record.

We are due to go out with my family next week for a joint Birthday meal for my Aunt, Sister 1 and Sister 2. Lorraine said that she is still going to go to that. I imagine that come the time she will find some reason not to go.

I don't know what to do now. I don't want to finish with Lorraine. I love her. Talk? She doesn't want to talk.

Comments:
I heard about this King movie and fancy it. There seems to be quite a few American Indie movies out at the moment: Brick, this one and Down the Valley which is also supposed to be good.

Maybe intelligent movies are back on the ascendant
 
maybe she just read some of the reviews?

ST
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?