Monday, March 27, 2006

 
There was another power cut this morning. Luckily it only lasted 10 minutes. When I rang Central Networks they said that the power cut occurred because they were swapping from the emergency generators' to the national grid. Emergency generators???? I knew it! The lights were flickering like a disco last night. I nearly got up to dance, but I didn't. I felt too ill and, anyway, "24" and "Rescue Me" were on the TV.

How are you? I'm OK.

So, to the weekend.

Friday.

Lunch at Asterias (nirvana for baguettes) and then during the afternoon we haunted every jewelry shop in Birmingham looking for a birthday present for Lorraine. It was very stressful. In the back of my mind evil Pynchon was saying, "You know this was a bad idea, John. You should just have picked Lorraine something and given it to her. She would have said that he liked it, even if she didn't really like it. You are a silly bugger." I ignored the voice. After 4 hours! Lorraine picked out a very nice Amethyst and Citrine pendant. It's really nice. A little bit more expensive than I had hoped to spend, but that was OK.

We then saw "V For Vendetta" at the Electric Cinema.



Alan Moore appears nowhere on the credits of this movie. The only hint as to the original format that the story appeared in is a single credit over the end titles that reads something like, "Based on the graphic novel illustrated by David Lloyd". It's a crying shame, because "V For Vendetta" is good (no, make that very good) and he should be proud to have his name associated with it.

"V For Vendetta" is completely modern, relevant and thought provoking. Yes, it has been modified (the original material is 20 years old) and some things have been lost (the tragedy of Rose Almond and the original ending), but the tone of the film is correct and that is the most important thing. I am also very happy that the whole "Valerie" sub plot has been left mostly intact. It was probably my favourite bit in the original book.

While at the Electric Cinema we treated ourselves to some of the themed "V For Vendetta" cocktails. I had some kind of absinthe concoction. Very potent. I hoped that it would cure my cold. It's didn't. However, it did remove all feeling in my tongue.

Then, onto Milano Ristorante Italiano. It's the second time we have been there. Still good. We enjoyed it a lot. I cannot remember what Lorraine ate, but I had the Risotto ai funghi to start and then the Bistecca di manzo olive, caperri e pomodoro. Sadly, no wine. Lorraine didn't think it would be a good idea.

Saturday.

I started to go into town on my own. Lorraine had chores to do, and she was OK with me going to the cinema on my own to gawp at Kate Winslet. Waiting at the bus stop, an old school friend Victor Garibaldi drove by, stopped and gave me a lift to the UGC on Broad Street. I haven't seen Victor in a couple of years. At one time he was a very good friend, but things drift. I do tend to run into him every couple of years. Victor looks like Freddie Mercury. He has very prominent front teeth and a big bushy moustache. At school he was a Sex God. He's totally bald now, but he's still a Sex God. Lovely guy.

Victor was with a lady. Early 20's. Slim. Long hair. Nice lips. A naughty twinkle in her eye. Think a young Angelia Jolie. Victor introduced me.

"John, this is my daughter."

Oh, fuck.

Now that made me feel old. How old is Victor? About the same age as me. 42/43 at most.

We chewed the fat. Victor told me some news about somebody else that we used to hang about with. This guy's name was Mike. Mike got married last year to his long term girlfriend. Good, eh? Yes. Except that the lady died a couple of weeks later from cancer.

How did this happen? How did we turn into people that hair loss, cancer, beer guts, arthritis, aches, pains, deafness, bad eyesight happen to? It wasn't supposed to happen to us. We supposed to be exempt. We were the punks, the mods (second generation), the disco kings and queens. We were supposed to be invincible.

Lorraine is home. I will continue later.

Comments:
Apart from the fact he's a mardy bum, does anyone know why Alan Moore objected withdrew his support for the movie? Meh, his loss.

Sounds like a decent weekend. OK, the 4 hours shopping must have been hard but you'll get some brownie points for it. If you'd just grabbed something she probably would have said she liked it but you'd pay for it later one way or the other...

I've only eaten at that Milano place once and was surprised how good it was. It looks like a bog-standard chain-type thing but the food I had was great.
 
Your story about Victor Garibaldi's daughter reminds me of something even worse.

I was walking with my college friend while we were both walking home, when a blonde girl, tall, very very pretty, looked 18, was walking on the other side of the road got my attention.

"See that girl on the other side of the road?"

"Yes."

"She's my neice."

"Oh."

"She's 14 years old!"

Oh shit!! I looked away as if blinded, and was very, very embarrased.
 
Thanks for the f*cking reminder that we're (I'm) getting older. Did you really have to write it out so blatantly? I know that I'm actually still in my mid-20's... at least in my mind!
 
I hear you, mate, even if I do need a frigging hearing aid. It ain't fair, I tell you! We wuz Gods!
 
Stef - I think Alan Moore absolutely hated what they did to "From Hell" and "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and vowed never to have anything to do with Hollywood ever again. I think that in this case he is wrong.

You are right about Milano. I think you said something similar before.

Threelights - It's an interesting question, isn't it? Was Charlotte Church any less fanciable when she was 15 years old and 11 months than when she became 16 years old. Difficult.

Ginny - Mid 20's? Hell, I haven't even got past 14 years old yet.

Tiggerzar - Gods! Beyond Gods!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?