Monday, March 27, 2006

 
It's later.

Saturday lunchtime I saw "Romance & Cigarettes" starring James Gandolfini, Susan Sarandon and Kate Winslet.



Sadly, it is rubbish. It could have been great, but I don't think that John Turturro knew what kind of film he wanted to make. Is it a comedy or is it a drama? I still don't know because it lurched from one to the other. The last half an hour seemed to be from a completely different film. Also, the whole technique of doing making a drama and getting the cast to burst into (mimed) song to express their feelings was done much better by Dennis Potter in work like "The Singing Detective" and especially "Pennies From Heaven". Check them out if you have not already seen them. Well worth the effort.

Kate looks fit though. Filthy mouth, as well. :-)

I got home on Saturday afternoon at about 3:30. The power had been off for half an hour. The whole street was down. Lorraine hadn't bothered to call Central Networks. She didn't see any point. I called them. They could tell me nothing. Lorraine and I were due to go to see the stage adaptation of "Get Carter" at the Midlands Art Centre, but she decided that she did not want to leave the house and Moon the Cat in the dark. So, I went on my own (all of my Sisters and my Brother turned me down when offered the spare ticket). I left Lorraine surrounded by candles. Quite romantic...

"Get Carter" was good. A single set that doubled as a bedroom, public toilet, office, interior of a car, waste tip, etc. 6 cast members. Jack Carter onstage throughout. 5 actors playing everybody else in the cast. A judicious use of blood capsules. Stabbings, shootings, breaking of limbs. 70's soundtrack. Un PC language. A bit of (male) nudity (they recreated the moment when Jack is caught inflagrante by two hired goons, forces them into the street at the end of the shotgun, failing to find the time to put any underwear on). Very funny. Very violent. I liked it a lot. The Red Shift theatre company are apparently doing a set of stage adaptations of famous movie thrillers. They have already done an acclaimed adaptation of Graham Greene's "The Third Man". I will definitely keep an eye out for their next production.

Went home. The power was still off. The house smelled of candles. We went to bed. There was nothing else to do. Lorraine wouldn't let me touch her tits. At 4am the power went on for 20 minutes exactly and then went off again. Sometime around 8am the power came back on and stayed on. I don't actually remember sleeping very much Saturday night/Sunday morning.

I'm tired.

Sunday lunchtime we spent Mother's Day with my Mom and my folks at the Dragon Barbecue at Five Ways. We didn't care for it much. The food wasn't great (the starter's were cold), it was too loud, there were too many people and it was very disorganised. Perhaps on any other day but Mother's Day it would have been better, but we are not inclined to give it another chance. We have had better Chinese buffets. My family liked it well enough, and my Mom was happy to get the clan all around the same table, and that was the important thing.

Sunday afternoon we went to see "Inside Man" starring Denzel Washington and Clive Owen.



Lorraine thought it was great. I thought that it was a bit of a generic heist-with-a-twist thriller, but was saved by some very spot on and pointed observations on racial stereotypes. A bit of a protracted ending, though, but still worth shelling out a couple of quid to see this in the cinema.

I think I've caught up. Thank God for that.

Today Lorraine had a haircut (very shaggy dog) and I tagged along while she went shopping. She bought some trousers (quite nice) and managed to huff and puff her way through many a shoe shop without finding any boots that she liked.

We have also purchased tickets for Johnny Mathis in September and David Essex in November. (Woah there Grandad! Oh, fuck you. I wanted to see them and so did Lorraine.)

Anything else? Oh, yes. My cold is nearly gone. Just in time to go back to work as well. O Lucky Man.

Roll on next weekend. We are going to see Christian Slater in "One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest" at the Garrick Theatre in London, then in the middle of next week I am going to see the Cosmic Rough Riders at the Carling Academy and then I have a couple of more days off.

Things to look forward to. Keeps you alive.

Comments:
Eating out on Mother's Day is rubbish. This year, the usually excellent City Café did a buffet... Why no a al carte? No idea but buffet food is never that good is it?

The last couple of years due to other commitments we had Mother's Day either the week before or the week after and it was much better. Will do that again next year I reckon.

That Get Carter thing sounds good fun. I really fancy going to the theatre some time soon for a change, I'll keep my eye out to see if they play in Bristol.
 
Sadly that hot pic of Kate isn't showing up, they've obviously set their server up to stop hotlinking...
 
Buffet Island on the Tyburn Road is really good. The Big Wok I thought was OK, but Lorraine hated it. Haven't really liked many others.

The "Get Carter" tour is practically over, but check out http://www.redshifttheatreco.co.uk as there are still a few more dates to go. You might be lucky.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?