Sunday, February 19, 2006

 
What's this only-post-every-couple-of-days shit, I've managed to get myself into? Not good enough, John. Really not good enough. There was time to post yesterday, as well, but I was busy. Watching TV.

Er. Yes.

So, where are we?

Yesterday I went to Top Sister's and played about with setting up various things on her new computer. It is a beautiful machine. If I am honest the computer is so good it is going to be a little bit wasted on her. She only wants it for email and shopping and for my Niece to do her homework on. I went through some other things that she might use the Internet for and she was completely blank and uninterested. Example? She has no concept of why she would want to chat to strangers on the Internet or why she would want to setup an alias in her dealings online. She thought the idea of pretending to be somebody else was very sad indeed. Lorraine started to tell Top Sister about my Blog, but a swift kick to Lorraine's shins soon put a stop to that. I definitely do not want her reading this.

I think some of the above is down to my Brother's dealings since he got his computer. Top Sister has always had a love-hate relationship with my Brother. She thinks the fact that my Brother has almost exclusively met his, many, partners over the Internet is dicey and dangerous and weird. It's funny, Top Sister was always the wild child when she was younger, and now she has become this middle aged prude. Oh, well. She will find her own way on the Internet. We have all had to. We are going back next week. I said that I would draw her up a good practice and good housekeeping list and we will be going through them.

We spent a lot of time at Top Sister's, and only left when Lorraine had to make her Dentist's appointment, so there was no film on Saturday. I went food shopping, Lorraine endured the torture chair at the Dentist. During the evening we watched "Dancing On Ice" and then Denzel Washington in "Man On Fire". It is one of Tony Scott's best films, the others being "Spy Game", "True Romance" and "The Last Boy Scout". I thought that "Man On Fire" was terrific. Tony Scott managed to reign in his tendency to go for his usual flashy visuals, wham bam editing and screeching rock music soundtracks that ruin most of his films. Denzel Washington gets better as he gets older. It's definitely a slow burn of a movie (and performance), but stick with it. It pays off.

Today I went to see "Final Destination 3". Here is the poster.



Woo hoo! Scary stuff, eh?

I have always liked the "Final Destination" films. I saw the first one at random six years ago during a bored afternoon in Nottingham waiting for Lorraine to finish work. They all have the same basic plot. Teen has a premonition of death. Teen freaks out. Teen (and others) cheat Death. Death gets pissed and goes after Teen (and others). Cue disfigurement, violence, gratuitous nudity, horror and... er...Death. Simple, beautiful, classic. The 2000's version of the great "Nightmare On Elm Street" series. (Another series with attractive teens being butchered in bizarre and diabolical ways by an unstoppable killer. Of course the question of why a lot of people find such stuff entertaining could fill a lot of pyschological textbooks and I am not even going to go there, thank you very much.)

I liked "Final Destination 3" a lot. Wonderful stuff, but if I am honest, not remotely scary. It's just a shame that Tony Todd was busy this time. I missed him.

I am off work tomorrow. (Excellent. Hurrah!) I will probably go to see "Good Night, And Good Luck". Something completely different.

Comments:
The Last Boyscout is one of my alltime favourite films [I found it behind a radiator in my Sisters old house, left by a previous resident..suckers.]

I also saw Final Destination 2 last night on Channel 4. Not as good as the original, but there were still some good deaths in it, and the pile up at the beginning is EXCELLENT!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?