Sunday, February 26, 2006

 
Top Sister tried to kill me with some dodgy ham sandwiches. I should have been suspicious when I saw the pack which read something like "Product of Chernobyl". Stuff was coming out of both ends last night. Luckily it was brief, but it was nasty. The same thing happened to Lorraine, but she is an Amazonian warrior and has a much stronger constitution than me.

So, no post last night. Instead we had an exciting evening in front of the TV watching "Dancing On Ice" (David Seaman and the foxy Pam are out!) and then some of the BBC's latest catastrophe, "Just The Two Of Us", which is a celebrity duet show. Awful. Lorraine went to bed and I watched most of Channel 4's "The Greatest Number 1's Ever" repeat. The top 3 (I forget the order) were something like "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Imagine" and "Hey Jude". I like 2 of those 3 songs very much ("Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Hey Jude", but I think that "Imagine" is a dirge and I have never liked it), but how boring is that list? How predictable is that? A couple of years ago when Channel 4 did the vote from 105 choices, just for the hell of it I did not select anything older than 1990. I think my number 1 was something like "Firestarter".

A brief summary then of Friday and Saturday. Lorraine is waiting to use the computer.

Friday lunchtime we went to see "Zathura: A Space Adventure".



I would imagine that a 10 year old boy would think that it is the greatest film of all time. Being slightly older than 10 years old, I thought that it was mighty fine. Yes, it is a bit flat in places, but in the main it is entertaining and there is good stuff in there about sibling jealously and the potential consequences of bad decisions being made. Lorraine liked it a lot. She said that it was better than "Jumanji", which of course shares the same writer Chris Van Allsburg and the same concept of a magical game leading children into a wild adventure.

Friday evening I went to see Goldfrapp at the Birmingham Carling Academy.



Alison was a vision of red hair, black leotard and unbuttoned pink fluffy top. She sang like an angel. Her voice was operatic diva and Donna Summer. (Why didn't Charlotte Church try something like that, instead of the hoary old rock chick shit that she has been doing?) I was just blown away. (Sorry, I find it difficult to write coherently when I am overwhelmed by something. I can only resort to cliches.) Goldfrapp were brilliant, fantastic and very, very cool. "Number One", "Oooh La La", "Ride A White Horse", "Black Cherry". Already classics. They finished with an epic "Strict Machine". You could feel the ground moving as everybody in that venue moved simultaneously to that song. Kudo's as well to the severely gay looking bass player (white beret, black vest and, I think, combat trousers) who never smiled once and the brunette foxy rock chick on keyboards and backing vocals. Both extremely cool.

You know what I did on Saturday. I played with Top Sisters' computer. Showed her a few things. Answered some questions. It was fun. Except for the vomiting and shitting later.

Gotta go. I will probably see "Capote" this afternoon, but there is shopping to do first.

Comments:
The Goldfrapp gig sounds fantastic. I've been meaning to go to a gig for ages but not got my arse into gear. Think I've missed the local dates of their tour too. Arse!

Totally agree with you about Imagine. Didn't Lenon write that while he was living in New York. In the Chrysler building. With a whole separate apartment to keep his and Yoko's fur coats climate controlled? "Imagine a world with no possessions" my arse! Lenon fans never seem to go about Happiness is a Warm Gun which is also wrote around the same time. Historical revisionism, don't you just love it.
 
I hate "Imagine" as well. Absolute toss.
 
Did you see Seaman drop her on her shoulder this week?? Not as painful as the chin impact the other week! Safe Hands eh? I think he's like Samson and has lost his powers once he was shawn of his ponytail.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?