Monday, February 13, 2006

 
I'll reply to some comments here, if I may? I have let it slip over the past couple of days.

stef and huggies - Thanks for the heads up on extraction and distribution of MP3 files. I'll certainly give it a go the next time the need arises.

ginny - I really hated the "Mission: Impossible" movie. SPOILERS. I hated the way that they turned TV's greatest Spymaster into a traitor. I hated the way they killed off the entire team within the first half an hour of the film. I hated the way that the whole film became about Tom Cruise, superspy. (I have no problem with Tom Cruise, per se. He has been in good films, he has been in bad films.) I hated the way that the producers refused to allow even a single member of the original "Mission: Impossible" cast to make a cameo appearance. (Can you think of a single TV to movie remake where a member of the original cast did not make a cameo appearance? Barbara Bain would have done it, if she had been asked. She said so. I would have just loved to have seen Peter Graves and Martin Landau cameo in the "Mission: Impossible" movie.) I hated the way that, allegedly, the producers rejected an apparently very good and exciting Oliver Stone script because it focused on the team. "Mission: Impossible" was all about the team and not about an individual agent. Fucking ignoramus'. END OF SPOILERS. And don't get me started on the piece of boring shit that was "Mission: Impossible II". The saddest thing about all of this? I will probably go to see "Mission: Impossible III" as I want to see what J. J. Abrams has done with it and I will probably be disappointed. I really loved the "Mission: Impossible" TV series. It shows, doesn't it?

mark - I have sent you another email address. We'll get there. :-) Your efforts are much appreciated, by the way. I'm sure you know that.

LB - You never liked Madness? Jesus Christ, burn the heretic.

Threelight - "Space: Above And Beyond" can be purchased at the fine emporium DVD Pacific, but sadly only on region 1. Watch out for the import tax!

swisstoni - Yes, I know of that Johnny Cash compilation. I'm prevented from purchasing it at present due to, ahem, cash flow difficulties. If MP3's are on offer, though...

katyola - I hope and I pray that Heath Ledger will win, because that is who I would have voted for. I have not seen "Capote", but I saw the trailer yesterday and it looks like Philip Seymour Hoffman gives an astoundingly mannered performance. I like the guy very much, but I don't know if the Academy will go for it. I think that possibly Joaquin Phoenix will come through the middle and win. Hell, what do I know? I know nothing.

Yesterday I saw "Sympathy For Lady Vengeance". It is the third in a trilogy of revenge movies directed by Chan-wook Park. I didn't care much for it. It was not what I expected. I thought that the first hour was quite interesting, but then it became quite boring. I don't really know why it was an 18 certificate, either. I'm a Philistine. I probably would have enjoyed "Final Destination 3" more than "Sympathy For Lady Vengeance". That was my other choice.

Did everybody enjoy "24" last night? I did. Oh, yes. Indeed I did. I would go so far as to say that it was the best opening two hours to a series of "24" that they have ever done. And is it just me or is Chloe looking kind of hot? Oh, it's me. (Sulks.)

And Kim still to come... (Heh, heh. I said, "Kim still to come"...)

Comments:
Did you see the preceding movies in Park's vengeance trilogy? Is this one worse than what came before? I liked Oldboy it has to be said so I kinda fancied this but dull you say.

As for the Mission Impossible films... I didn't mind watching them but only because I pretended they had nothing to do with the TV series which was, as you say, all about the team. Did the producers not realise we have loads of movies about lone super spies, what we didn't have was one about a spy team...
 
One of my CD "finds" of 2004 was American Albums IV.

Knocked my socks off when I first heard it. Even covered a Depeche Mode song, fer chrissakes!!
 
Stef - No, I didn't see any of the preceeding movies, but I also heard great things about "Oldboy".

"Mission: Impossible" really pissed me off. It could have been great if it had been true to the format, but it wasn't.

threelight - Yes, I heard "Personal Jesus" and thought that it was very good.
 
Heath Ledger could win -- there appears to be a Brokeback Mountain juggernaut -- but I think Hoffman has a strong chance because of his Golden Globe win. I think it would be wild if Heath, as a gay cowboy, and Felicity Huffman, as a transsexual, won the Oscars. That would show the religious right!
 
Damn good point about the Mission impossible movies - but once you've got Tom Cruise in, you can;t have him as a team player - he's got to be an action superstar. Which is why the MI movies are Cruises own yankee version of a bond franchise appeasing to his ego; after all, why else is paula Wagner is producer? She does every single one of the Cruise movies. All Cruise does is assemble a team of two or three interchangable lackeys (rather than an ensemble) in each movie.

(As for a yankee bond, so is the Bourne movies, only the Bourne movies are infinitely better).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?