Wednesday, February 15, 2006

 
Damn!

My home page is the BBC News website and they already have some of the results of the Brits awards posted. I was going to put all of my predictions down, but there is little point now. Oh, well. I was right about James Blunt and K. T. Tunstall winning Best Male and Female Singer, respectively. I would have been right about the Kaiser Chiefs winning Best Group, Arctic Monkeys winning Best Breakthrough act and Lemar winning Best Urban Act, but I would have been wrong about the winner of the Best Single award. Coldplay's "Speed Of Sound"? Surely not. It should have been Tony Christie with "Is This The Way To Amarillo?".

The best thing? I cannot prove I would have been right about any of the above. Never mind. Next year.

I hope that everybody who was inclined had a nice Valentine's Day. We did. Lorraine arrived at work at some obscene hour of the morning so she could go home early to cook. Yesterday evening I arrived at Pynchon Towers to a huge selection of Chinese/English food. We ate on and off for the whole of the evening. Even the little birdies in the back garden benefited. (Chips? Couldn't eat them. Onto the back lawn with them. They were gone by this morning.)

We exchanged presents. On Saturday Lorraine bought me some really nice shirts. Yesterday she also gave me a double DVD of "That'll Be The Day" and "Stardust". They are both brilliant films and show what a talent David Essex was in the 1970's. I gave Lorraine her "Best Of The Osmonds" CD, which made her laugh and I think she liked. "Space: Above And Beyond" has not turned up yet, so she will get that later. She knows that there is another present to come.

It was a content, good night. Doesn't make for interesting blogging, though, does it?

Last thing. I was sad to hear about the death of singer Lynden David Hall. He was 31 years old. Christ. Hardly a life at all, really.



RIP.

Comments:
if your life consists of making fairly bland soul, then I don't see it as that great a loss artistically. personally, he may have been wonderful. but musically, it's not as if we lost Jeff Buckley or Lennon.
 
I wouldn't include Jeff Buckley in that list. I'm not sure about Lennon either, but I'll let that pass.

ST
 
er, i was very tired...
 
Ooh, David Essex! I spotted him years ago at the Good Hope Centre in Cape Town, attending a Juluka concert (Johnny "Le Zulu Blanc" Clegg and Sipho Mchunu). Did you ever see 'Silver Dream Racer'? There was some good music in that, too.
 
I was a bit surprised about "Speed of Sound" as well. I love it, but I'd have expected commercial radio listeners to have voted for Blunt or the Shayne Ward record, to be honest.
 
I was thinking of you the other day. I went to see Walk the Line because of your recommendation. But I ended up walking out because of the blood scene with the brother in the beginning. Silly I know especially since everyone is saying how good it was. It just looked so depressing and I wasn't in the mood for depressing.

Sounds like you had a good V-day. And so did the birds. ;-)
 
I have only heard Sexy Cinderella by Lyndon David Hall and his music may not have been to everyone's tastes, and he may have only had one rated album, but shit, 31 years of age!

I'm 25 and to be fair, in the whole scheme of thing, have achieved absolutely nothing. At least he did something, put himself out there, and did what he loved, and then got cancer and died. A terrible waste.
 
Hello all!

Things would be boring if we all liked the same things, wouldn't it?

Never saw "Silver Dream Racer". Good title song, though.

I like "Speed Of Sound" as well, but it is really just a rewrite of "Clocks".

Give "Walk The Line" a go, if you get the chance. I think it is funny and moving and excellent.

Well said, adem.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?