Sunday, January 08, 2006

 
This evening I have had a headache that will not quit, a huge argument with Lorraine and it took 4 attempts to boot my computer up.

I really cannot be bothered. I will go to bed in a minute.

What I will say before I go is that "Brokeback Mountain" is as good as the critics have said it is. (Flowery language ahead!) It is a beautiful, melancholic, poetic, bittersweet and mesmerising film. Early days yet, and it is only the second film I have seen at the cinema this year, but I have the feeling that "Brokeback Mountain" will be in my top 10 films of 2006. Surely Heath Ledger must be a shoo-in for the Best Actor Oscar in March, with Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Williams both up for Best Supporting Actor and Actress? It is a wonderful film. Go and see it.

A mess about with my sidebar and I am a done.

Comments:
I just posted my Top 2005 list, and as you'll see, "Brokeback" is there (since I saw it in 2005!), but missed my top 10. I really did like it - everything you said about it is true - but there were so many other good movies that I saw this year.

I think the difference is that while I really enjoyed it when I saw it, and immediately after, as time went on, it hasn't stayed with me. In the way that "Syriana" or "Crash" have almost haunted me. I can see renting them, or even going to see them on the big screen one more time, but I don't think I'd watch "Brokeback Mountain" again. For me, it was more of a "mood" experience - as you said, "melancholic, poetic, bittersweet" and I don't think those kinds of movie experiences are easily repeated. So for me, it tends to be less memorable than some of the other films.

I have no idea what 2006 has in store for us... so far the only film I've seen is "Rumor Has It" and I am hopeful there will be many many films I like better than that one by next December 31!
 
I saw your list. I just hadn't commented yet.

I have only seen the poster of "Rumour Has It" and even that looks awful.

"Syriana" is out here in a couple of weeks and I am looking forward to that. "Crash" was magnificent and I would think will probably win the Best Original Screenplay Oscar in a couple of weeks.

It is always impossible to get back the exact feeling of watching a movie for the first time, but it can be partially recreated by watching it with somebody who has never seen it before. I'm hoping that I can watch "Brokeback Mountain" with Lorraine at some point.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?