Sunday, January 15, 2006

 
It has been a movie Apocalypse!

Early evening yesterday we went to see "The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe" at the Electric Cinema.

I've got to say that I liked "Narnia" a lot, although it does have some problems. Out of the three pre-Christmas blockbusters that were released in this country ("King Kong", "Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire" and "The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe") it is probably my favourite. Problems? It is curiously small scale and low rent compared to something like the "Lord Of The Rings" movies (funny I thought that because I did not particularly like those movies). The battle sequences are not quite so large and the violence not quite so graphic. It might disappoint some people because the bar has been raised in what is allowed in fantasy movies, but in the final analysis "Narnia" is a film for children and has been designed as such. I also had a curious sense of deja vu while watching. I did read the book at junior school (Good God, more than 30 years ago!) and could have sworn that I did not remember any of the plot except for that peculiar time twisting ending, but somehow I did. The faun, the giving out of the weapons, the White Witch. It was all really familiar.

Apparently the go ahead has been given for the next book in the series to be made into a movie. Good. I enjoyed it.

Last night we watched "Kill Bill 2" on Sky Movies.

I must admit "Kill Bill 2" was better than I remembered, but still feel that Tarantino will never use one word when he can get away with using seven. He does write great dialogue, and he had great early success because of that, but he has also forgotten when to stop. You cannot have an entire movie with all of the characters afflicted with verbal diarrhoea. Or perhaps you can? What do I know? Too much, Quentin. Too much and it made the film too long as well. Cut some of the dialogue and use it in another movie for God's sake.

The Uma Thurman/Daryl Hannah fight is still terrific. The best thing in the film.

This afternoon I went to see Neil Jordan's new movie "Breakfast On Pluto" starring Cillian Murphy.

6 people walked out of this movie (always, I find, the sign of a good film when it happens at the Cineworld on Broad Street). I have no idea why these people walked out. "Breakfast On Pluto" is a wonderful film about the life and times of a sweet and gentle transvestite, set during the Sixties and Seventies. Why were these people upset enough to leave the cinema? Was it the homosexuality of the main character? (I didn't think that the scenes were particularly explicit.) Was it the recreation of the activities of the Republican movement in Ireland and the UK mainland during that time? (There is a recreation of a pub bombing which, excuse the enthusiasm, is fantastic!) Was it the sight of a particularly sleazy looking Bryan Ferry? (Nice moustache, Bryan.) I don't know. Their loss.

This evening we watched "Cold Mountain" starring Nicole Kidman and Jude Law on Sky Movies.

When "Cold Mountain" first came out I dismissed it as Miramax Oscar fodder purely on the strength of the trailer. Very wrong of me. I rather enjoyed "Cold Mountain". It is a story of separation and the power of love, set during the American Civil War. Yes "Cold Mountain" is a melodrama, and to be honest perfect viewing for a rainy Sunday afternoon, but it is superior melodrama. I did notice something that I thought was interesting. The movie has very many guest stars (I will not list them here) and every single one of them is introduced to the film with their back to camera. What was that about? Stylistic technique? Was the Director daring us to guess who he had managed to nab for the next guest slot? I pointed it out to Lorraine and she told me to shut up and watch the film. Cow.

I do like Nicole Kidman. Very early on, when she was still married to Tom Cruise, I read an article which stated categorically that although she might become a better actor than Tom Cruise, she would never be a movie star because she did not have the IT factor. I think that she has proven them wrong, don't you? I suppose on pure box office she will never equal Tom Cruise, but the parts that she plays are so much more interesting and varied than the ones Tom Cruise plays.

What else? Nothing. We arose late this morning and watched the repeat of "Dancing On Ice" on ITV2. Total clunker. Outrageously bad and as such essential viewing for every Sunday morning from now on.

Comments:
Did you manage to do anthing other than watch movies?! That's quite a marathon!

Good reviewing, thanks for the heads up about Pluto, that sound interesting and I was completely unaware of it.

I think Tom Cruise is totally over-rated (don't most people though?) and more than a bit mad. Nicole is the true star. Much nice legs than Tom as well.
 
I don't know, I don't think Nicole is making very good choices lately. I agree that she's a far better actor than Tom, but he's more discriminating - you don't see crap on his resume like "Bewitched" or "Stepford Wives" or one of the most horrible movies of all time, "Birth." (Okay, "Cocktail," but that was a long time ago.) Come on, she's an Oscar winner and she's made terrible terrible films since.

I also think her toying with plastic surgery has made her somewhat freaky looking - her face is frozen with those high eyebrows so that she can barely move it to act.

I miss the old Nicole. She's 100x more talented than her lunatic ex, so why can't she be in better movies? And have red hair again?
 
Red hair would be good and yes she has done some turkeys. Funny really, I'm sure she must get some fantastic scripts...
 
"Cold Mountain" was a film we really didn't want to see, but a boring Saturday got the better of us. It was much better than we had anticipated.

Nicole Kidman is a wonderful actress though I agree her last couple of movies were stinkers. I did really enjoy her performance in "Birthday Girl".
 
I must admit, I have never really studied Tom Cruise's legs...

Hmm... Nicole Kidman. I admit some of the films have not worked, but the range of parts she has taken are interesting. Take the films she has done this decade alone.

"Bewitched", "The Interpreter", "Birth", "The Stepford Wives", "Cold Mountain", "The Human Stain", "Dogville", "The Hours", "Birthday Girl", "The Others", "Moulin Rouge"

And add to that she was supposed to be in both "Panic Room" and "The Producers".

Perhaps the girl just likes to work?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?