Tuesday, January 10, 2006

 
A couple of weeks ago I had a dream that John Simm was the new Doctor Who.

I swear to God I had that dream before I heard so much as a whisper about John Simm's new series, "Life On Mars" , which started yesterday. For those outside of the UK, "Life On Mars" is about a Detective in 2006 who, on the trail of a serial killer, is involved in a car accident and wakes to find himself back in 1973. Or is it about that? It is not made entirely clear. Anyway, I liked "Life On Mars" a lot. Fish-out-of-water jokes, bad clothes, great music and 21st century versus 1970's culture clash. I particularly liked Philip Glenister's great assimilation of John Thaw's persona from "The Sweeney". Now that was a series...

If John Simm does happen to become the new Doctor Who , circa 2008/2009, just remember that you read it here first.

In an exciting evening at residence chez Pynchon, I

  1. Ate junk food.
  2. Watched an episode of "Alias" on DVD.
  3. Did some ironing while watching "Soapstar Superstar" (Fucking dire! Some of those vocals were as flat as Keira Knightley's chest. And while we are on the subject, Cilla Black? Why?)

Secret things are going on at work. (Ooooh...)

The regular Team Leaders meeting went on for 4 hours, amid rumours of a big shake up in the way that the department is organised. Apparently my manager, Orville Turd, came out of the meeting with a face like thunder, sat down and flung some papers across the room. I later saw him in the canteen and he looked like he was about to burst into tears. To be honest, I think that Orville Turd is a shit manager who doesn't know how to motivate or support us, but on a one-to-one basis I quite like the guy. It is just that he is just so totally useless and out of his depth in the job that he is doing. He quit once and was convinced to stay by department bossman, James Cunt. Perhaps Cunt thought that he was doing Orville a favour. He wasn't. The man is very unhappy. He should leave and get himself an easier job.

Perhaps it will all become clear what is happening tomorrow?


Comments:
Watched Life on Mars too. Liked the music. I did quite like the programme, but it struck me as one of those series that could have just been a nice made for TV movie or something, and ended shortly after the credits rolled on Monday night, with him waking from his (alleged) coma with the help of the weird doctor chap (or is he?), letting everyone know what he'd worked out and they all live happily ever after. Guess we'll just have to see how it progresses.

Although, I agree with you, I do like the old school police attitudes. Why can't police still be like that, eh? ;-)
 
I would agree with you on "Life On Mars", but I have the feeling that there is more to the story than meets the eye. Well, I hope so, or it will become very predictable very quickly.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?