Friday, December 30, 2005

 
I love the way that Lorraine cries at soppy films.

This evening we watched a film on Sky Movies called "The Notebook". It starred Ryan Gosling, Rachel McAdams, Gena Rowlands and the legend James Garner. It was an extremely sentimental, romantic and soppy love story. Definitely a 3 hankie job for Lorraine (the last 2 hankies from the box of tissues by the side of her chair and 1 hanky that she borrowed off me) and I must admit that my own macho sneer was slipping during the last half an hour and I suddenly found that I had something in my eye.

Wonderful stuff. Lorraine and I had a hug when it had finished.



Yesterday we went to see "King Kong" at the Electric Cinema. Lorraine loved it. I thought that it was OK, but I expected that as it was not a film that I was considering going to see at all. I was just interested in being involved in a bit of silliness at the Electric Cinema on our day off from work. (The screen decorated as a jungle set was a hoot and the Kong themed cocktails were nice. We had a couple and were pleasantly pissed by 2pm. The film started at 1:15pm.) I was never greatly impressed by the original "King Kong", although I recognise it's iconic status and importance in movie history. Peter Jackson has done better films ("Braindead" and "Heavenly Creatures", but not the "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy, which bored me to tears). Naomi Watts played it completely seriously, which I suppose was the only way to play it. Jack Black played... er... Jack Black. Jack Black always plays Jack Black.

Back to work today. The Titanic is still sinking and that is all that needs to be said about that crap hole.

I have no idea what we are going to do tomorrow. I know that we have no plans to go out during the evening. I suppose that I need to start thinking about what I want to write, after all, it will be New Years Eve. Something to sum up the year. Something philosophical, perhaps? Something serious. I may not want to write anything.

On New Years Eve 2004 Lorraine and I got into a blazing, plate throwing argument and a lot of that emotion spilled over onto the page. (Come to think of it, Lorraine and I have had blazing, plate throwing arguments every New Years Eve that we have spent in this house. 4 years and counting.) It might happen again. Watch this space.

Comments:
Just a suggestion, get out of the house on NYE. At least if you have a blazing plate-trowing argument it will be someone else's stuff that gets destroyed! Seriously though NYE is a time for that sort of thing; one person looks back on the bad things from the year, blames the other because they're drunk... Get out, go to a party, meet friends, do something but don't stay at home.

"Definitely a 3 hankie job"
I saw some movies like that too! ;-)

Rather annoyingly I always cry at soppy movies, more so than my wife I think. I even cried at an episode of Babylon 5 once!
 
Heavenly creatures was a superb film and his first attempt at a 'real' film. Great stuff and you get to see some titties as well if memory serves.
 
I really love "Heavenly Creatures," especially the claymation sequences, and it's my favorite Kate Winslet movie. Sense and Sensibility's a close second, though. Much better than Lord of the Rings (yeah, I know I'm offending the entire geek population of the USA -- who cares?). I only made it through the first film of the trilogy. Boring.
 
I don't remember any titties in "Heavenly Creatures". I do remember Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey in their underwear, though. Nearly as good.

Hey, Katyola! We are right, they are wrong. "Lord Of The Rings" was boring.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?