Tuesday, December 20, 2005

 
I have been out and about and a commenting on the Blogoverse (I don't even know if that is a real word). It seems that over the past couple of weeks the whole reading and commenting part of the Blogcycle has been sadly lacking by yours truly, so this evening I decided to do something about it. I have not got around everybody that I regularly read. It is not personal. There just doesn't seem to be the time (and that is a really fucking weak excuse, because if I care that much I should make the time.)


Last night we went to see Elaine Paige at the Birmingham Symphony Hall. With a couple of provisos (her voice took a good 4 songs to warm up, which meant that the wonderful Tim Rice/Andrew Lloyd Webber song "Another Suitcase In Another Hall" from "Evita" was effectively thrown away) she was very good. Lots of songs from shows that she has been associated with ("Cats", "Evita", "Sunset Boulevard", etc.), costume changes (the gold lame suit was kind of fantastic), some acting (she did a scene and duet "The Perfect Year" from "Sunset Boulevard" with John Barrowman, but more about him in a minute) and some Christmas singalong with John Barrowman and Danny Seward. I never realised that Elaine Paige is so tiny. I reckon I could have popped her in my back pocket and taken her home. Also, interesting to note that the average age of the audience was about 92. It would have been older but for the random selection of young to middle aged Gay men in the audience. Is it a cliche that Gay men love showtunes? The couple sitting next to me certainly did.

The show featured two guest singers, John Barrowman and Danny Seward. Danny Seward I had never heard of, but apparently is an actor in the TV series "Where The Heart Is" (I have never seen it and so cannot possibly comment.) I thought that he was OK, but Lorraine thought that he was wonderful. John Barrowman is Captain Jack in "Doctor Who" . He was, quite frankly, fantastic. He sang 5 songs in total. "The Perfect Year" in a duet with Elaine Paige and then solo, "Sunset Boulevard", something by Stephen Sondheim ("To Live"?) and a beyond camp "I Am What I Am". He later returned for the Christmas singalong. Jack Barrowman got a standing ovation and quite rightly so. I would go to see him onstage again.

It was a good night.

Comments:
I thought old ladies and gay men are the only people who liked showtunes!

Captain Jack and Elaine Paige eh? There's a combination, maybe she could replace Billie Piper when she leaves the Who!
 
Bah! Stereotypes!

You like what you like! If anybody doesen't like it, then tough. It's what you like.

Pigeonholing people is wrong and should be banned. There's a wealth of music out there, and to each their own.

Right, I'll go and listen to my Abba records now!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?